The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Don’t give us your wretched ... this is Australia > Comments

Don’t give us your wretched ... this is Australia : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 2/11/2009

Asylum seekers: the lingering effects of fictitious narratives such as 'queue jumpers' and 'terrorist sleepers' remain.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
E.Sykes,
Far too many are confused re the definition of right wing rants & the myth of multiculturalism. What you appear to misinterpret is the difference between reality & off-the-rail left wing idealism.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 3 November 2009 4:10:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
E.Sykes why not put forward some meaningful argument or reasons why Australia should just open the doors and let everyone in - we all tire of your silly little tantrums about anyone who dares hold a differing opinion.

Come on, put some effort in .. not just the dummy spit, which is as regular as clockwork.

Oh and the "meaningless xenophobic right wing rants" is clearly misunderstood by you or you just are so angry you can't think straight - if they were meaningless, why do they bother you?

Those are opinions, like them or not, this is still a democracy though it appears you'd like it to be a little less democratic and only "meaningful multicultural left wing rants" are allowed .. yes?

So many people who post on OLO have anger management issues, why is that? E.Sykes, you hated the Howard government, now you have redirected your hate to anyone disagreeing - "am ashamed to be livin on the same planet as you lot let alone the same country." so leave, check out and relieve us of your ill temper.

I have no problem explaining to my children and grandchildren why I feel the way I do, I don't see why I should have this "Australia is a nirvana everyone should come here and we'll all share everything" view - you might, I don't nor do many others. I've worked hard for my family to be in a good position, I'm not going to give that away because of intolerance in other countries - it's not my problem, nor do I appreciate you trying to insinuate it is my problem. Australia has a migrant intake, and that's fine and reasonable.

Many countries have NO migrant intake or refugee intake at all, why not direct your anger at them, so go take on Japan, South Korea, China for starters .. let us all know how you get on, please.
Posted by rpg, Tuesday, 3 November 2009 6:09:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
E Syles “i am ashamed to be livin on the same planet as you lot let alone the same country.”

Well don’t let me stop you from migrating to some other country.. or planet, for that matter

So long as you take your whoosy sentimental notions with you!

“how appalling a model these views are for your children and grandchildren”

No… what a stupid example you present for your children and grand children.

My children were taught to accept the rule of law..

yours are obviously being taught the merits of anarchy and the notion of “endless entitlement” with no respect for the rights of others to hold a dissenting viewpoint.

And as for “multiculturalism” .. it will be swept aside by assimilation… t

rust me, I am from Anglo-Saxon stock… the very name represents the assimilation of two originally separate cultures and ethnicities into one (along with Celts, Danes, Ancient Brits, Romans, Normans and quite a few other races along the way).

The only thing Multiculturalism will produce is division and ghettos.

Assimilation will always prevail… because it cannot be stopped.

Rpg “Many countries have NO migrant intake or refugee intake at all, why not direct your anger at them, so go take on Japan, South Korea, China for starters .. let us all know how you get on, please.”

Add India to that list, rpg, which would be the closest and most natural place for these economic migrants to go to, instead of coming to Australia….. but welfare payments are not so good there.
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 4 November 2009 7:12:16 AM
rpg,
I recently read that with all the refugees in the world, the UNHCR has only 20 countries that will take any.

Australia takes the third largest quota. I don't think that is to scoff at. E Sykes should face a bit of reality. His rants are not worth the effort to reply.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 4 November 2009 9:13:09 AM
The rule of law:

Under Australian Law and International Law a person is entitled to make an application for refugee asylum in another country when they allege they are escaping persecution. Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that "everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution". People who arrive on our shores without prior authorisation from Australia, with no documents, or false documents are not illegal. They are asylum seekers-a legal status under International Law.

'Illegals' are people who overstay their visas. The vast majority of these in Australia are from western countries, including aprox 5,000 British tourists.

There no queues for people to jump. There is no standard refugee process where people wait in line to have their applications considered. Few countries between the Middle East and Australia are signatories to the 1951 Refugee Convention, and as such asylum seekers are forced to continue to travel to another country to find protection.

There remains no evidence that any asylum seekers who arrived by boat have any connection to terrorism. Those who perpetrated the September 11 attacks did not arrive in the United States as Asylum Seekers. They flew first class with valid papers.
Posted by E.Sykes, Wednesday, 4 November 2009 1:27:22 PM
In fact, I have never argued that people may not express an opinion, but I do claim my right to disagree with the stated opinions of others: the stated opinions here are in my opinion, in the main, xenophobic right with rubbish with no basis in fact whatsoever.

altogether now:

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We’ll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who’ve come across the seas
We’ve boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.
Posted by E.Sykes, Wednesday, 4 November 2009 1:35:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy