The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A relationship with neither empathy nor mercy > Comments

A relationship with neither empathy nor mercy : Comments

By George Seymour, published 30/10/2009

What we have done to each and every individual caged hen is a tragedy, and there are millions of them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
The first people on Earth, according the Genesis Creation story, were vegan and were give the whole garden of Eden to choose their food from. Sin and rebellion meant the desire for meat and infliction of suffering onto the Earth. Many early Christians were vegetarian but the Church was standardised under Emperor Constantine and it was prohibited. There is no evidence of Jesus being a meat eater - probably only fish! There is no mandate to cause the slavery, suffering and confinement of animals as a human resource. In fact, physiologically, humans are more like primates than carnivores. If we emulate our nearest "cousins" we would be basing the great majority of our diet on plants. Even Chimps, omnivores, have only a very small amount of meat, much less than any human society. We reap the suffering we sow due to Western diseases of excess. A religion that teaches compassion should be protesting about the exploitation of His creatures.
Posted by VivKay, Sunday, 1 November 2009 7:59:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well said George.

We humans have managed to land men on the moon and send objects in to space to investigate our solar system and yet we still can't manage to farm eggs in a humane way.

To argue evidence shows that caged hens return to the cage if that is where the food source is means they prefer those conditions is drawing a long bow. Humans do the same thing in refugee camps where the conditions are appalling if the food is only served in that camp. Long term prisoners can become so institutionalised they find it difficult to leave their confined 'safe' environment.

Perhaps those in doubt should visit their local battery farm and see if you think those chickens look healthy and well cared for. Make sure to look at their feet, feathers and beaks.

The best thing is to get your own backyard chooks or buy 'real' free range eggs and vote with your feet.

You don't have to be a vegetarian to advocate for more humane treatment of the animals we eat both how they are killed and how they live.
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 1 November 2009 10:48:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Chickens are very well cared for in intensive raising conditions. That is the whole point, to raise them in optimal growing conditions, disease free, low stress and with a ready supply of excellent food and clean water.

This is the sort of environment the Left would wish on whole populations: housing and food for free, everything 'sorted' and controlled by big brother (big sister these days!) and you don't even have to see the kids, who are taken at an early age and raised by the State. Paradise for a Left-wing chicken I would have thought.

Coming from a farming background I know many farmers but few of them could be considered well off or at all well paid considering the size of their investment and the amount of work they do. Chicken (incl egg) farming in Australia is highly efficient and it has to be to compete. Most people are glad they have the supply of first class protein and at a prices they can afford. Most people are aware that farmers live from day to day and are at the mercy of cruel seasons (a good reason why chooks are in sheds), the market and of course the endless flow of regulation and inspection by government.

George, what you really need to show is how farmers can live high on the hog like most lawyers, while producing little of any practical benefit to the community and under the protection of a self-serving club. Solve that and doubtless more farmers will be able to afford the inefficiency of lower production, higher costs and uncertain markets.

As for the consumer on a low income who needs protein, what self-respecting lawyer would worry about them, eh George?
Posted by Cornflower, Sunday, 1 November 2009 6:18:24 PM
Bushbasher: “thanks, col. that was the single most idiotic defence of battery cages, or of pretty much anything, i've ever read.”

I second that.

When i was a kiddie, an uncle (one of many) and aunt had a small mixed dairy and chicken farm. The chickens were free range but had a nice, spacious, clean and well ventilated wooden shed that they returned to in the evening.

He sold eggs to whoever drove in and supplied to small shops. There was immediate quality control - if the eggs were not up to par the buyer wouldn't return. People driving in - well it was like a family outing and they got a bargain of a whole tray of eggs and maybe an old boiler or two to stew. The hens who had aged were given a quick and humane end after a long (ish, for a hen) and peaceful life.

It was just beaut as a kid to sit in a tree and watch the hens; some with chicks. I loved hearing roosters in the morning (still do). Fun feeding them; collecting eggs and all of those things.

One holidays I went to visit and there were no hens; chickens; happy sites and sounds or pleasant chores.

EGG BOARDS had been created - supposedly to ensure product quality.

My uncle couldn't afford to adhere to the production quota that was imposed. People got their eggs up to two weeks old and from goodness knows where.

No more happy farms - instead battery hens. No doubt more easily taxable.

A genuine case of knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

George - excellent article.
Posted by Pynchme, Sunday, 1 November 2009 7:24:43 PM
'I hardly imagine the Noble chicken freed from his shackles striding forth into the wide blue world to forge his destiny, fame and fortune.

Applause!

If we're all supposed to be vegetarian, how come animals are made from meat! Hey, answer that one!

pelican,

'We humans have managed to land men on the moon and send objects in to space to investigate our solar system and yet we still can't manage to farm eggs in a humane way.'

It's not a priority. I think the use of the word human-e is where you are going wrong. They're chickens.

'buy 'real' free range eggs'
Yeah like I'm gonna be able to check up on where each egg really comes from and check in fortnightly to see that the chickens there are having a fab time and are intellectually stimulated.

cornflower,

'This is the sort of environment the Left would wish on whole populations: housing and food for free, everything 'sorted' and controlled by big brother (big sister these days!) and you don't even have to see the kids, who are taken at an early age and raised by the State. Paradise for a Left-wing chicken I would have thought.'

More! rapturous applause!

'The chickens were free range but had a nice, spacious, clean and well ventilated wooden shed that they returned to in the evening.'

Ah, but did they have a log fire, and a cognac? I will be looking for the log fire and cognac range eggs next time I go shopping.

'The hens who had aged were given a quick and humane end after a long (ish, for a hen) and peaceful life.'

How did you know that? I didn't know chickens were able to convey such feelings to humans. How do chickens experience peacefulness? Are they spiritual? Do they prefer solitude? Do they fight with their in-laws? Does it vary from hen to hen, and should we really be providing life counselling to make sure of the psychological health of the hens?
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 2 November 2009 8:40:09 AM
Col Rouge seems to think that, because chickens have a pecking order, this justifies our abuse of them. Of course it justifies nothing at all. Because humans build concentration camps and practise genocide is not a justification for the needless abuse of innocent humans. Does one logic apply to humans and another logic apply to other sopecies?
Posted by nalood100, Monday, 2 November 2009 5:26:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy