The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Refugees and peddling fear > Comments

Refugees and peddling fear : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 27/10/2009

Wilson Tuckey has blown the dog whistle on Tamil Tiger terrorists arriving in Australia by boat.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
There is one aspect of the illegals from Sri Lanka that has not been touched on as yet.

If we accept the Tamils into Aus will they get on with the Sri Lankans all ready here or will there be violent conflict between various groups of Sri Lankans. Are those coming here, or attempting to, really fleeing persecution or are they fleeing prosecution for crimes committed during the civil war. After 30 years of civil war,I reckon any government would be tough on those it suspects of war crimes.

So what about social conflict in Aus? Well we have seen the result of Fraser bringing all those leb muslims here and the anti-social aspects of them and their childrens behaviour. Also there is continueing violent conflict between the Serbs and Croats, which erupts far more often that we like.

In May there was violent confrontation between groups of Sri Lankans at Westmead and Wentworthville (Sydney suburbs) which was the subject of a NSW police media release dated 18-5-09. Apparently in serveral clashes that involved up to 50 men, one was hospitalised. there was a home invasion where a man was stabbed and had his ankle broken and was in serious condition in hospital. Anothe man had acid poured over him and was in an induced coma in Concord hospital burns unit (outcome not known). That is not our way of resolving differences.

Maybe we should take these incidents as a warning and have a very hard look at just who we allow into the country.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 30 October 2009 10:14:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spindoc,

Spindoc,
I would argue that many of us do see the point of what you say and even agree to superficially.
The problem I have is that many are merely subjective perceptions on your part.
I don't follow the logic of points 1-4 .
I would argue that our neighbouring countries including Indonesia would get PO ed with us if we simply lumbered them with the 'flood'. How long do you think the Indonesians would tolerate the increases if we did? They would simply move them on and the flood would be simply pass through and we'd get them all. Our border control would be more busy than than island fire dancer. The HRC would go ballistic if we kept them on overcrowded island prisons.
5- 8 will be inevitable if we and the world don't invest in the eradicating the causes.
9 most people work on out of sight out of mind.
10 same as 1-4.
11 true-ish but there are different issues at stake.

My point was what's the answer as demonstrated the Pacific solution is doomed even if we spend the money in that way.

I would suggest the cost benefit for the type of military expenditures currently undertaken the wars etc. are having an economic impact on this negative impact on this country in that it's simply one way without a payback bombs don't solve anything But the same money spent on giving the refugees at home might.

NB I have no answers either just a few abstract thoughts that need more work. Conversely Neither party can get past 'instant' knee jerk responses. Clearly the better solution is to stop them leaving but how?

The ones on the ship now will determine much.
Posted by examinator, Friday, 30 October 2009 11:12:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy