The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The cost of women’s liberation > Comments

The cost of women’s liberation : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 23/10/2009

The feminists of the 1960s set out to enlighten the average woman of the oppressed state that she was not aware she was in.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I agree there are a lot of women with young children who are forced into working who would much rather not be. This is a real shame but I believe is a symptom of femininsm still having a long way to go rather than having gone too far.

The author also fails to mention the very real issue of lack of financial security for women who do not work - in "the good old days" it was a fair assumption that your partner in marriage meant what they said re "until death do us part" etc. However my own experience has found me in a position where, having given up work to raise my children while my husband became the breadwinner, has left me very much regretting the decision once he up and left with no notice. I am now having to work for an income much lower and in a lower position than if I had kept up my career over the years. I am not sure what the answer is but something needs to happen to reduce the amount of stress that families are currently having to deal with.
Posted by sajo, Friday, 23 October 2009 5:41:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well said Sajo, I agree feminism still has a long way to go.
Women these days, while having more say in society in general, now have twice as much on their plates as their mothers did.
We now have to work both inside and outside the home, while many men continue to have just the one job outside the home. Not liberated at all!

Desmond, I agree that socially women are worse off now in some ways. There are more men willing to have sex with any woman- married or not, and then leaving them pregnant.

More men are violent towards women because women now try to stand up to them, instead of blindly agreeing to everything their man says.

Yes there is more divorce too. Woman are not so stuck in doomed relationships anymore, and are able to get out instead of being forced to stay with domineering or violent men.

These facts are often hard for men like you to deal with Desmond.
Posted by suzeonline, Friday, 23 October 2009 6:53:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[quote]"Yes there is more divorce too. Woman are not so stuck in doomed relationships anymore, and are able to get out instead of being forced to stay with domineering or violent men.

[b]These facts are often hard for men like you to deal with Desmond.[/b]"
Posted by suzeonline, Friday, 23 October 2009 6:53:21 PM[/quote]

The implication being that only a minority of men and women display the tendency to be domineering or violent?

Domination and violence from others are inherently 'hard' to deal with.
Posted by Etham, Friday, 23 October 2009 7:24:59 PM
An interesting thought provoking article by a gentleman who's lived long enough to have experienced huge societal shifts and observed many of the effects.

While not agreeing with all his theories I can see much truth in his writings.

My slant is that today women have many more choices. Men also have more freedom of choice. Marriage is not and never has been just a social or moral institution but an economic one in which a couple work together to provide the necessities of life and hopefully a few luxuries for themselves and any offspring. Marriages themselves require work - communication, negotiation, give and take. Nothing stays the same - good times give over to bad and bad to good again. There is probably more pressure on relationships today because the traditions of sex based roles are largely bygone. Also there has been a cheapening of the value of marriage and commitment to the detriment of our society.

Though there are many benefits enjoyed by women in Australian society today as a result of the Feminist movement there are also negatives. Whether this is a result of feminism or more to do with economic factors is probably the question I would pose.
Posted by divine_msn, Friday, 23 October 2009 9:53:33 PM
A good article but to try and place the blame on anyone point is useless within itself
People have got to get a common cause both male and female
When a union of a male and a female give rise to children then both have a responsibility to the child
People have then got to realize that that obligation is a lifetime obligation
As I have said before the feminist movement didn't need to have women doing the wrongs that man was already doing they needed to show the men a better way ie get home after work and enjoy thier time with the children and take a little of the burden off the wife and mother
Instead of pointing out to the women that were doing right by staying at home in a working marriage that there was a more free way to live they should have been using these marriages to show an example to the marriages that weren't working

Thanks Have a Good life
From Dave
Posted by dwg, Saturday, 24 October 2009 5:23:52 AM
All articles on OLO have to take a particular stand to be worth reading. There is a limit of 2000 words. I squeezed in two points in favour of women’s lib - while knowing that there were a lot more. But I had to keep to the chosen theme i.e. the cost.
Posted by Brian Holden, Saturday, 24 October 2009 8:31:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy