The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The wretched of the Earth > Comments

The wretched of the Earth : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 20/10/2009

Asylum seekers are in a state of desperation and despair. They cannot live in their own country. They have nowhere to go.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
*THERE IS NO QUEUE.*

Yes there is a queue CJ. The Dept of Immigration clearly have
a method of determining, who is next, when it comes to their
intake of 13000 people a year. Some are taken from areas like Burma,
Laos etc, people who would not have the money to pay anybody.

So the Dept of Immigration runs the queue. Just because you don't
see people standing in line, does not mean that there isn't one.
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 25 October 2009 10:34:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Although a signatory to the UN convention for refugees we are not obligated to accept war criminals, especially those still active in terrorist organisations as defined by the UN. It is apparent that western countries do have have the skills to detect. Canada reported that even if they do identify claims as being from LTTE does not necessarily mean they can be deported. Claims must be propcessed by the Un which has a far greater integrity and accuracy that our courts.

They are highly trained to pass muster. Best to offer hand of assistance to Sri Lanka and try to work for a humanitarian end that does not facilitate further bloodshed on that country's soil.

Also as they have commercial dealing with al-Qaeda we need to look out for ourselves as well.
Posted by TheMissus, Sunday, 25 October 2009 10:47:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CJMoron “Col, you're a truly odious person……”

How strange … “odious” has lost its effect when included in a post from the loathsome and ineffectual it has been debased (like the currency) through its profligate over use… to say nothing of abuse coming from a putrid source does not qualify as valid

“…… However, I'm not going to play with you about asylum seekers - the issue is too important. Bye.”

He is either running away, with his tail between his legs…

knowing he lacks the intellectual rigor to debate against my view or

He is off to attend to the important matter of personal grooming… get your tongue ready, CJ…. woof woof.

CJ Moron “sharkfin, there's been a significant Tamil population on the island of Sri Lanka for more than 2000 years - but don't let mere facts get in the way of your grossly simplistic "tribal" theory.”

The Moron brings up another reason why people should not get visa's on demand" because they might well be unsuited to be accepted into Australia

This is another example of bow Multiculturalism does not work and why assimilation is the only solution.

Those who arrive in Australia for the purpose of a new life have to leave their past behind them and be prepared to assimilate.

- Something which (according to the Moron) the “Sri Lankan Tamils” have not been able to do in 2000 years and so they are not going to do it in Australia either..
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 26 October 2009 8:05:31 AM
So where exactly should Sri Lankan Tamil asylum seekers go to "queue up", Yabby - given that UNHCR has hitherto been denied access to the internment camps in Sri Lanka?

TheMissus - I don't think I've heard anybody suggesting that we should accept war criminals from anywhere. I certainly wouldn't support such a suggestion. Of course, in the aftermath of a civil war it's quite possible that some could slip through - as they did after World War 2, for example.

Col - I'm not playing. Go and find someone else who wants to play your spiteful games with you.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 26 October 2009 9:19:00 AM
CJ, most of them won't have to queue up at all, but will be able
to return to where they lived before the war ended in May.

Some of those areas need to be demined and services restored. That
will take a bit of time. Meantime some have already been released
from camps, to go and live with relatives.

Yes there are complaints about red tape and delays, but name me
a Govt where red tape and delays are not a problem.

There are millions of Tamils living in Sri Lanka, clearly being
a Tamil and living there, is quite possible.

Some of the terrorists who fought against the Govt will no doubt
need to flee. They could flee to India or Indonesia for instance.

But we know that some so called refugees have in fact been Sinhalese,
claiming persecution by Tamils.

I certainly don't think that Australia should be taking Tamil
terrorists as refugees.
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 26 October 2009 12:59:02 PM
Yabby,congratulations on a very good post.Yours is one of the few that is moderate and well-balanced and full of facts.

I'll add just one morfe to what I have alrready posted.

I am all for giving asylum to genuine asylum seekers who wish to have nothing more to do with their past. How do you separate the genuinine from the "sleeper" Elam Tigers going to ground here.They have made no secret of the fact that they concede that theyy lost the battle in Sri Lanks but for them the war is not over.They are merely re-arming and re-organizing from abroad.

All I'm saying is that we need to be ruthless when dealing with these experts in international intrigue and terrprism. Remem ber they gavee the world its first suicide bombers.

sopcratease
Posted by socratease, Monday, 26 October 2009 1:05:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy