The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Get tough or prepare for a flood > Comments

Get tough or prepare for a flood : Comments

By Philip Ruddock, published 15/10/2009

While all governments proclaim that they determine who enters and settles in Australia, they should be judged by their record rather than their rhetoric.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
*Big Mal*

re 1. Emporor Nasi Goreng and too many rabbits.
re 1. Born to parents who clean toilets, always a toilet cleaner.
re 2. Does the Palestinian situation ring any bells?

*Rache* Friday, 16 October
" ... If we're not prepared to live up to our obligations as a signatory to International Refugee Conventions we should at least have the courage ... "

Yes

*Banjo* Saturday, 17 October
" ... I can tell you why I object to the 'illegals',no matter how they arrive. Simply because they are dishonest and trying it on. ... "

I would assume some are, but one ought consider that it is all too easy to judge others by our own standards, mis/conceptions and prejudices. Sometimes you know, we are dealing with very different people, who think in a very different way, who have a very different value system, and who also may be poor and uneducated.

*Hasbeen* Saturday, 17 October
" ... He's going to slip a few 10 of millions to the "right" people in Indonesia. This will of course, be to help the poor illegals, to settle there, although we all know who will get it. ... "

The Indos will prob create or enhance a minister or individual in a politically significant role, feed on international dollars coming in and pay out at a 3rd world rate. But then, this will sure up Bam Bam's posi and we will have more of his ear on security issues.

*AndrewBartlett* Sunday, 18 October
" ... But Australia should do more to pressure the Sri Lankan government ... "

If I do not misrecall, and according to AlJazeera, serious war crimes allegations have been made against them for acts in both the pre and post period and legitimate UN inspectors were still being blocked entry to the camps as of when I last heard.

*TheMissus* Sunday, 18 October 2009
" ... I agree if this is the case then the Sri Lankan government should be held to account and take responsi(b)ility for all her citizens. ... "
Posted by DreamOn, Tuesday, 20 October 2009 8:31:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As I assume is generally accepted, Australia, despite its huge geographic size, has a very limited carrying capacity, relatively, in terms of physical resources and finances, especially if current "standards" are to be maintained.

Hear how some people already scream re:pensions, asserting that the stimulus measures (temporary pay increases) have to be stopped and that the next step will be to increase eligibility to 67 years of age.

Perhaps the blues are right in so far as that if more people who have nothing are allowed in, that the real costs will cause something like the necessity of increased taxes for the top end of town?

And of course, to appraise Australia's immigration system, if you are not sufficiently educated and resourced you simply cannot come to Australia period. Australia, like most places, want people coming in to bring with them plenty of bucks and to contribute.

When howard 1st came in, apart from trashing the pig industry and taking away reasonable dental, he hacked and slashed a whole range of services by way of the likes of max the axe etc etc.

So, why if he would treat his own in this manner, is anyone surprised that he wouldn't want to spend legally and in terms of security vetting boat arrivals, then in addition to water, feed, medicate, house and educate them when there is a domestic unemployment rate of more than 5%(?)

Seriously, if people seriously cared about everyone, the majority of new arrivals would be legitimate refugees and not wealthy educated people from other parts seeking a "better" place to live.

I reckon, $AU500,000 houses should cost no more than $AU100,000 and all that additional wealth in savings could be invested and diversified into new industry and development.

Having our so called wealth locked up in the form of 90% dirt doesn't seem to be good fundamentals to me.

One wonders why we bother to educate people if we do not want to produce with a view to enhancing export capacity aswell?
Posted by DreamOn, Tuesday, 20 October 2009 9:03:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
DreamOn,
You quoted me Banjo* Saturday, 17 October
" ... I can tell you why I object to the 'illegals',no matter how they arrive. Simply because they are dishonest and trying it on. ... "

You responded
"I would assume some are, but one ought consider that it is all too easy to judge others by our own standards, mis/conceptions and prejudices. Sometimes you know, we are dealing with very different people, who think in a very different way, who have a very different value system, and who also may be poor and uneducated".

So you think we should disregard corrupt and criminal behaviour by the illegals on the basis they are of a different culture. If they hold false docs and/or deceive our authorities by destroying the docs then we ignore that. If they lie about their origin and circumstances we should also ignore that. Just how much do you think we should compromise our standards to accomodate those persons of different culture. What about honour killings, eating dog meat or human placenta.

Hey, we already turn a blind eye to forced marriages and FGM. Why not go all the way. Where do you draw the line. Maybe we should abandon our laws and social standards completely.

Sorry, but I think we have to maintain our standards and that is why I refer to the illegals as liars and cheats who set out to deceive us. They bribe and buy their way here and exploit our generousity. I believe they should not be allowed here at all.

If the present government can stop them reaching our shores by doing a deal with Indonesia, they will soon stop trying. I hope that occurs
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 22 October 2009 4:05:34 PM
*Banjo*

If you were a legitimate asylum seeker I am reasonably sure that you would appreciate that when fleeing bloodshed, murder, rape and torture that all that matters is reaching safe haven.

The will to survive unites us all.

People who have known war understand this.

Thereafter, I have experienced something of other cultures and amid the diversity of it all, my view is that standards of common decency are indeed common in one form or another and no I am not suggesting we turn a blind eye to "serious" matters of criminality or politically motivated violence.

Boat people do not concern me *Banjo* They're easy to pick up, easy to screen offshore etc The ones that concern me are the ones that come through legitimate channels dressed as sheep but are in reality wolves.

No, my view is that when you boil it all down, the prime drivers of the liberal party simply do not want the responsibility and cost of looking after shattered people.

Cold hatred and grasping greed ..
Posted by DreamOn, Thursday, 22 October 2009 10:12:09 PM
There is some question to whether we are allowing the rapist or the raped in though.

When you read Sri Lankan website the picture is so very different to the ones expressed here.

Claims the Tamil Diaspora have financed terrorism, claims the LTTE were violent and repressive against fellow Tamils to increase sympathy and support from the west. A lot, a huge amount of anger from Sri Lankans regarding the stories western press are running are full of bulldust. Knowing the western press love spin more than anything makes me question what is the truth?

One young Tamil pleading to his own, please the only reason they avoid us is because they are scared if they get close to us we will blow them up.

Hard to know who to believe, it is incredibly stupid to accuse a nation of crimes just for sport. No doubt they have racism against Tamils but an indiscriminate killing spree? I do find that difficult to believe, they rely so heavily on trade. I read stories in foreign press about Australia that are so inaccurate. If you accuse countries of this and that, well that starts wars and incites hatred.

I asked on the other thread, Sri Lanka is an easy country to get a passport unless you are a criminal or associated with the LTTE. Is this true and what circumstance would be that an asylum seeker from that country would be denied a passport?
Posted by TheMissus, Thursday, 22 October 2009 10:32:13 PM
How do you identify a “legitimate asylum seeker”?

By the fact that they are granted a refugee visa only after going through due process to prove their claim.

Versus

The economic opportunists who float here on the currents, lacking a visa or usually other documents which would prove the fraudulence of their claim

Australia has no obligation to accept economic opportunists who try to avoid proper process and processing.

The illegal action, in attempting to circumvent Australia’s migration laws is patent evidence of bad character and should warrant expulsion and a life ban on ever getting a visa into Australia.

That, in a nutshell is what needs to happen.

No whining
No sentimental dross
No exceptions
Posted by Col Rouge, Friday, 23 October 2009 7:16:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All