The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Liberals get a gift opportunity and wreck it > Comments

Liberals get a gift opportunity and wreck it : Comments

By Joanne Nova, published 13/10/2009

Nearly 80 per cent of Liberal backbenchers are opposed to negotiating amendments to the ETS ahead of Copenhagen.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
I just have to say last I checked 95% of peer reviewed climate articles still support human induced global warming. The latest amateur attempts to interpret global climate (Ooh look, temperature fell somewhere!) are not helping the issue.
When data from ice, ocean, currents and wildlife all agree, I'm afraid you need a fair amount of ignorance to stick with he "sceptics".
The latest data is supporting the more radical warming models. There is no "change of opinion" among the experts.
Just as a banking "professional" is irrelevant to the airline pilots "profession", so too is non-climate scientists opinions on the discipline of climate science.
The ETS is a bad idea and just allows business as usual while giving bankers yet more revenue. I agree on that score. Just don't trash the real science or "debate" issues that have little relevance to the science.
The author seems surprised that the Liberals are non-democratic. How cute, a journalist who pretends she has no idea of how politics works!
Posted by Ozandy, Thursday, 15 October 2009 9:12:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OK here is a basic fact for all the newby climate scientists out there.
If you only look at temperature you are *way* off the mark.
Energy is stored as chemistry, motion and phase shifts.
GW is due to a net increase in Energy...NOT == constant temperature increase all over the world. Basing your ideas on an insanely simplistic understanding will not lead you to wisdom!
If this is not 100% comprehend able then I'd suggest you hit the textbooks before looking silly in public.
This is OLO so we can expect trolls I guess. For those seeking a balanced view then go to the best source (Bureau of Meteorology), not politically motivated opinions.
Posted by Ozandy, Thursday, 15 October 2009 12:09:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ozandy - last time I went to the bureau of metrology I was told despite what people said/thought our temperatures had not increased and everything was tracking as usual. Now I wait for some knob to tell me weather isn't climate.
Its the same old nonsense mate time after time year upon year. Ooooh it's really scary, we are all going to be killed, no really it's serious this time.
Get a life, do something and stop squawking about "really terrible things" like anyone has ever listened to you before.
Rudd will do what he likes but there will be a reckoning and just watch him turn and say "I never said that"!
Look at the current refugee crisis he created now he is full of We will decide who comes into Australia, hahahaha what a total fool he always makes of himself.
Posted by JBowyer, Thursday, 15 October 2009 3:16:54 PM
Ozandy

One does not have to be an atmospheric physicist to realise your comment illustrates the difficulties global warming enthusiasts have in making their case. You have now shifted the goal posts from temperature to the overall energy balance of the planet. The operation of a thermometer is summarised by the Zeroth law of thermodynamics.

Namely: “if bodies A and B are in thermal equilibrium with a third body T, then A and B are in thermal equilibrium with each other.” Temperature measures the mean kinetic energy of particles at point of measurement.

Are you now seriously suggesting that the climate models and computer power available to us can even attempt to model the total energy exchanges both within and without the planet?

Why it would be necessary to consider the radiant energy arriving at earth plus the internal volcanic energy of the planet plus energy released by radioactive decay of unstable natural radio-nuclides. Then you would have to balance this with radiant energy escaping from the planet plus energy dissipated by convective atmospheric and oceanic processes. To say nothing of mechanical energy dissipated by violent storms, ocean wave motion, chemical energy dissipated by biological organisms and god knows what else.

I am truly grateful not to be a climate scientist!
Posted by anti-green, Thursday, 15 October 2009 3:20:06 PM
No one has polled the Government Senators about their opinion on ETS, but about 3 months ago I was told by an informed source that over a 1/2 of the Liberals and 1/3 Labor senators did not believe in AGW science. It is possible that by now, the majority of Labor senators don't believe in AGW. So the senate might passes legislation based on science which only a handful of senators actually believes in. I wonder how history will record this event, when it all falls apart, as it must eventually.
Posted by MichaelC, Friday, 16 October 2009 7:12:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy