The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hey, hey, blackface comedy > Comments

Hey, hey, blackface comedy : Comments

By Peter West, published 12/10/2009

Surely there should be some controls on TV shows that seem to be free to show us all up as racist and idiotic.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All
I tend to agree with Clownfish on this issue. Yes, the incident has been blown up out of all proportion, but the fact remains that the 'blackface' skit on 'Hey Hey' was both racist and in very poor taste.

What is most interesting to me is the extent to which many Australians are in denial about it. Sure, it's not as damaging as beating up Indian students or selling 'white power' t-shirts in Alice Springs, but it's racism nonetheless.

Country girl, I don't live very far from you and there's not a day that passes when one of my customers doesn't make an offensively racist comment about Korean backpackers or "coons" etc. You must have very selective perception.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 12 October 2009 11:45:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My question is, why is this ridiculous article being published by OLO? Does it really pass as "analysis"? All the author does is say "I hate Hey Hey", then give a history of American racism and finish with another jibe at "Hey Hey".

As for the substantive issue (about which the author really has nothing to say), I'm pretty well educated and I hadn't heard the term "blackface" as a description of what the black and white minstrels do until this furore broke out. I suspect few people here had. The idea of putting on make up like that doesn't have the same connotations in our culture that it does in American culture. The guys who put on that skit were guilty of poor entertainment, but racism? I think they would have been as surprised as anyone to hear themselves described that way.

They weren't meaning to ridicule people of African descent. They were trying to parody the Jackson 5, a group of coloured people. That's why the one playing Michael was wearing "whiteface".

I think before calling for censorship of racist outbursts on TV, we should look at whether the incident in question was an instance of racism. I believe it was not. Not every depiction of a black man by a white man will be racist. Not every depiction of a black man by an indian man will be racist. The potential is there, but all these guys did was mime and dance (badly) to a Jackson 5 song. They weren't suggesting that black men were inferior beings. They weren't suggesting they should be lynched or kept out of the company of white people. They were just mocking the Jackson 5.

Americans are looking at the skit in question through the prism of their own culture and, to some extent, of their own guilt. They are seeing something that isn't there. If one skit on a crap TV show is really going to do that much damage to our reputation, we probably have to look at wider issues of our standing in the world.
Posted by Nick Ferrett, Monday, 12 October 2009 12:38:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can merely echo Clownfish & CJ Morgan's sentiments on this topic.

Anyone with an understanding of American history and culture would understand why Harry Connick Jnr was offended by Hey Hey's sketch. What I find particularly disturbing is the denial of freedom of speech being placed on Connick; not only is he entitled to an opinion on the B & W Minstrel skit, but he has a background which demands he speak out.

Fortunately for Australia, Connick Jnr is a regular visiting entertainer to our country and aware that the humour of Hey Hey is not indicative of all Australians (well I can hope he doesn't read OLO).

As for claiming that the Minstrel skit was an ironic statement - pullleeeeze! Hey Hey is about as ironic as a Rugby League club knees-up. Channel 9 also brought us Sam Newman in B & W minstrel makeup parodying Nicky Winmar.

For irony, I suggest the Chaser Team, Chris Lilley, Andrew Denton, John Clarke and many others understand the medium far better than the producers at Channel Nine.
Posted by Fractelle, Monday, 12 October 2009 12:58:45 PM
I usually don't reply to comments directed at me, but yes, I am aware that people in my own district do make racist comments about Korean backpackers, but that is no different than the racist comments that have sometimes been directed at my German born husband. But, the way the Korean backpackers are treated in Australia is a huge improvement on the way Mexican farm workers are treated in the USA.

My issue with this whole silly fuss is that I would not like to see censorship of any form of Australian humour,other than by Australians protesting by switching off their TV sets. Australians must stop cringing about what the rest of the world thinks of them.
Posted by Country girl, Monday, 12 October 2009 1:05:42 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Should I assume that Al Jolson's marvellous rendition of "Mammie" is now banned in the USA.
I agree with the comment the author of this piece should get a life. I also agree the actual skit was a good send up.
Posted by Foyle, Monday, 12 October 2009 1:22:22 PM
the reason that so many australians haven't heard (claim not to have heard) of "blackface" is because australia is such a racist country....australia remains, and the vast response of "they was only joking" proves it to be one of the most racist countries in the world.

not by any means a small thing: prime time tv, huge ratings, children watching...racism modelled for all to learn from. then all the usual excuses, twists and turns...

the background of the performers and the judges is of no relevance whatsoever. it was a racist act, it must be condemned...my father was in a prisoner of war camp from 41-45..he went to war to fight racism not to make excuses for it...
Posted by E.Sykes, Monday, 12 October 2009 1:37:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All