The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Taking stock > Comments

Taking stock : Comments

By Jenny Stewart, published 30/9/2009

As Sydney and other Australian cities become more built up we lose that precious, Australian, sense of space.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
There is no "one size fits all" here. I'm still of the opinion
that there is some kind of genetic input here, for even as a little
kid, I was happiest going out into the country, with lots of
animals around etc.

I lived in various European cities, one African city, but when
I came to Australia, it was in fact the open space and ability
to live outside of cities, that really attracted me.

Reactions of others to bush life, is always interesting to observe.

Some get really nervous out in the country, fear of the unknown
perhaps, people conditioned to city life, who look at nature and
see "nothing", rather then what is actually there in all its splendor.

Many women have a problem with country life, they just need those
shopping malls and manicure salons etc. Our town has a real problem
keeping an doctor, not because the doctors don't like it, but
because their wives commonly rebel at the thought of country life.

Yet if we look at many top businessmen, rock stars, politicians
and others, the moment they can afford it, they are off to the
country to breed some horses, grow some wine grapes and somehow
go back to their earthy roots of what life is all about. They'll
play around with tractors, like big boys with big toys and be
far more content with the world, then they ever are in the rat race.

So I am of the opinion that somehow our instinct matters in all this.
Some people take to those open spaces like ducks to water, others
need city life to be happy, each to their own I guess.
Posted by Yabby, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 12:02:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Conservation does not just mean trying to preserve species. It means conserving what we value, and having the guts to stand up for our heritage."

I second that and could I add that less interference in our private lives by government is also a vital part of our heritage that must be preserved.

It is the lunacy of record immigration levels year by year and by both sides of government that has put so much pressure on infrastructure, housing and water. Australia's population is growing faster than that of some Asian countries that are typically criticised for having their populations out of control.

As far as the major political parties are concerned, immigration policy is all 'never you mind'. There has never been any realistic attempt to find out what the electorate wants and nor have there ever been any real discussion as to what the individual Australian actually gains from immigration levels that are plainly over the top when compared with any developed nation world-wide. It is complete nonsense to claim that 'diversity' is a goal. Why and how much is too much, destroying the culture and quality of life of the present population?

Why the urgent rush to reach the most optimistic guesstimate of the peak human carrying capacity of Australia when it is already obvious that government cannot solve such basics as water supply and housing for the present inhabitants and we are losing vital farming land for housing estates?

Plainly neither side of government has the courage to engage in a proper consultation process with the public on the goals and limits of immigration. This being so, there is room for a minor party to seize the initiative, especially regarding Senate seats. I wouldn't be depending on the flakey Greens though, who have yet to connect the dots and whilst some might mumble about population, all they are saying is that Australian women shouldn't have children while turning a blind eye to record levels of migrants.
Posted by Cornflower, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 12:37:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pelican
'Your faith in the market and faith that choice exists (in real terms) is admirable Peter but does not take account of factors like shortage of affordable housing.'

Yes it does. That's exactly what it does take into account. If there were no scarcity, and no costs, then we could all have what we want without sacrificing any lesser value either. The fact that there is scarcity, that we have to choose and value things relative to each other, gives rise to economic goods. Neither market nor government can make this universal fact go away.

"Choice implies there are no other imperatives."

No it doesn't. The fact that we can choose doesn't imply that there is no scarcity, an ability to get something for nothing. It means that, of the different things we value, we need to sacrifice this value in order to attain that one; and that the latter is higher in our scale of preferences.

"There are many people who choose to live in cities only because that is where the jobs are - it is not necessarily a first choice option or a lifestyle choice."

If they are choosing to live in a city because that's where the jobs are, it means that has priority over the other things they value. In that sense it is a first-choice option. My lifestyle choice is to be sippling a pina colada poolside without having to work for a living. The fact that I can't afford to do this, doesn't mean my current job or housing is not a first choice option - it means it is.

The point is, there is no reason to think that people should be able to live in a city, with a job, and with the wide-open spaces of living in the country. This is just a fact. It's not an argument against making decisions based on consent, nor in favour of making decisions based on coercion.
Posted by Peter Hume, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 2:05:27 PM
We can't keep subdividing our market gardens in good rainfall areas to create suburbia. Urban workers might benefit from living closer to their workplaces.

I think that Australians could support denser populations in habitable apartments if larger districts were redeveloped at a time, rather than the current piecemeal sell a house and build 24 apartments, sell the next house and build another 24 apartments.

If larger areas were [compulsorily acquired and] redeveloped then there is a chance of putting in open parkland/space, rebuilding the sewer, electricity, gas and water mains to support the larger population as well building pleasant apartments with views and adequate cross ventilation and I would like to see adequate car parking.

I like the flats around Drybergh St in North Melbourne where the hexagon shaped buildings mean that when you look out the lounge window you are angled away from the neighbouring windows.

The current building regulation's concern about overlooking neighbours is leading to the development of windowless boxes with inadequate ventilation almost as bad as the Brazilian favelas of Rocihina in Rio de Janerio.
Posted by billie, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 4:32:00 PM
The problem is quite simple.There are too many people.Australia has already overshot the sustainable level of population by more than 100%.

The solution is to immediately introduce a zero immigration policy and abolish welfare for breeders.

Is that too hard or too harsh for you? Then stop whingeing about the results of population growth.
Posted by Manorina, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 4:38:34 PM
Peter Hume: You appear the be the only one talking sense here. Keep up the good work.
Posted by Cam Murray, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 5:06:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy