The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Myths, stereotypes and pedophiles > Comments

Myths, stereotypes and pedophiles : Comments

By Nina Funnell, published 22/9/2009

The reality is that in 75 per cent of child abuse cases the abuser is known to the child.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
R0bert:"I find the inclusion of unwanted sexual advances by peers into discussion of sexual assault offputting."

It's all part of the broadening of definitions that is essential if the victim sector is to grow its business.

Nina is a member of the management committee of the NSW Rape Crisis Centre, which is currently desperately trying to broaden its own "user base" by pushing the concept of "vicarious trauma", since the number of victims of actual rapes is pretty small and makes it hard for them to justify the $1,000,000 or so it gets in Govt grants to pay a stack of feminist women to do very little. Extending the definition of sexual assault to include unwanted advances is just the next logical step in making the gravy train a more comfortable ride.

It's a version of the Trotskyite "continuous revolution" model, in which the "revolution" (in this case, the "funding") becomes an end in itself, while the people in whose name it is being conducted are forgotten.

Remember Big Brother and the "continuing crisis" of "the war" everyone was carefully informed about and which justified incredible privations for the populace (but not the elites)? Every good Revolution needs a class enemy and Nina and her feminist fellows have found a doozy - the entire male gender (excpt the "good ones" of course...)

I suspect Nina is not a fundamentally dishonest person, she's just young and eager to get on the gravy train. As long as we recognise that and treat her output accordingly, no harm is done. If we make the mistake of uncritically accepting what she writes, we allow ourselves to be lead down a very twisted garden path indeed.
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 7:42:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In truth, it would be almost impossible to stop all incidences of child sexual abuse in family situations - usually family member, close family friend, step-parent.

These events happen behind closed doors and unless the child speaks to someone or another family member happens to witness the event or notice anomalies in behaviour or physical signs of abuse, what hope is there?

Mandatory reporting via teachers, doctors, nurses, child carers etc is helpful and alerts authorities to suspected abuse but it does not prevent abuse.

How do we as a society stop child sexual abuse? What is the psychology of the perpetrator? Studies on this topic over the years often refer to the abuser as being a victim and repeating behaviours. One would make one think in this case they would be less likely to inflict the same pain on another person, let alone a vulnerable child.

We will probably never know enough or be organised enough to completely stem the stream of child sexual abuse. However, when caught and found guilty, the perpetrators should face the strongest possible sentences.

Perhaps schools could conduct a course about child abuse through qualified counsellors (not by teachers). Phone numbers and brocures given to children to use in case they need it as well as assurances that they won't be handed back to the perpetrator.

It is a fine line because we don't want our kids growing up in constant fear but we do want them equipped with the confidence and means to be able to seek help.

Very difficult balance and I don't know the answer.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 9:48:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nina,

By and large I tend to agree with this article and particular its conclusion.

I would take issue with you about the vigilante mob mentality. Specific solely "understandable" and add unacceptable.

Your original form seems to give tacit support such hysteria.
In reality such behaviour entrenches more problems than it solves.

Everybody teaches 'stranger danger' but omits to actually parent and train the children to have the courage of their convictions and say 'NO' to those they know and to desensitise the crime encouraging concept of 'not dobbing'. Let's also include a sense of knowing what is trivial and what is plain unacceptable.

The media doesn't help with it's sensationalising either. e.g. encouraged the woman who drove 14 ks to get hysterical and disgrace her uniform out side A paedophiles under 24 hr surveillance in a semi rural environment.

The lack of perspective and consideration of the consequences in the wider community on this topic terrifies me.
Imagine the victim and what they are submitted to terror/embarrassment of the overwhelming circus (comparable with piranha feeding frenzies) that surrounds such incidents. Then it moves on having savaged the victim, their family etc. Reporting is one thing but....

One can also wonder at the different attitudes towards women who 'molest' under aged boys.

Then let's not forget those vindictive mums that cloud the water by making bizarre claims by ex hubbies solely for revenge or custody advantages.

How about the group sex parties between 14 yos to me that speaks loudly of both societal and parental abrogation of responsibility.
One could even make the point that some girls/boys are traumatised and conditioned by the cultural inconsistency.

Finally, my favourite, lack of regard for the law and the principals that underpin them.
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 9:56:40 AM
Examinator: I apologise I did not mean that I support the mob mentality at all. What I meant to say was that I understand where the anger comes from, but I don't agree with how it has been expressed.

Anti:

I understand your position in these debates well enough. but this gravy train business has got to stop. I don't get paid a cent for the work I do with the organisation. But I do spent countless hours every year doing volunteer work- raising awareness about this is something I do bc I care deeply about the issue, not bc I am trying to line my pockets. I've also been very transparent about where these motives have come from.

You'll also find that the people who work in the sector get paid peanuts and for the record, counselling traumatised people is one of the hardest jobs out there and yet these people get paid barely anything. You do not go into the sector for money.
Posted by ninaf, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 12:45:06 PM
I think its disgraceful that a prisoner who has done his time is hounded by vigilante groups. The people in the Ministry of Housing who leaked his address to the media should be fired.

Who seriously thinks that a vision impaired 60+ year old with a facial tic is a danger to neighbourhood kids. He looks like the sex offender from central casting.

Children are more likely to face abuse from close family members or friends.
Radio National has a podcast of the experiences of a man who was abused as a teenager. The perpetrator was known to the family, and in a position of power over the family income. see http://www.abc.net.au/rn/360/stories/2009/2680045.htm
Posted by billie, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 4:06:21 PM
This Is No Myth

Hi To All The Forgotten Australians
I Attended The Memorial For The Forgotten Australians On saturday 19th September 2009, And Layed The Flowers For The Lost Innocents ,

The Words I Were To Say , That I Was Given Were ( I Lay These Flowers For The Lost Opportinities And The Lost Idenities ) , I Added These Words From My Heart , The Destroyed Our Evidence And Our Lives Thank You

After Hearing The Service And Being Apart of It I Was so Emotionally Upset

The Goverment Say They Have Put 9 Million Dollars Into Resourses,

That Maybe well and good for The Future Of Our Children

But That Is Not Giving Us Victims Who have Lost Our Homes And Faimlys , Fighting For Justice These Things Back

We A Lot Of us Know What I Said Is True They Have Destroyed Our Evidence And Our Lives And That Of Our Truth ,

I Was Hurt After Reading The Papers On Sunday Their Was Only A Couple Of Write Up About Us Victims , No Photo's Of The Day , Of All Those Who Were Their ,

So Have We All Been Forgotten Already By The Goverment And The Media

As We Are The History Of The Abuse Of Australia's Institutional Homes ,

Wether It Be State Or Territtories, Institutional Homes ,

Orphanages, Girls boys homes Remand Centres ,State Ward Homes , Foster Home, State Run Church Homes , Church Homes ,Out Of Home Care, And Many More ,

I said To Mr Rees On The Day The Lawyers For D.O.C.S. State They Destroyed The Records Of The Log Books Records , Proving A Case Mine,

Seem To Go In One Ear And Out The Other , So How Can Any Of Us Get Justice When D.O.C.S. Own Lawyers State This In A Court Case , Then The Courts Dissmiss It In Favour Of The State
Posted by huffnpuff, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 8:26:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy