The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Earth jurisprudence: standing up for the planet > Comments

Earth jurisprudence: standing up for the planet : Comments

By Kellie Tranter, published 24/9/2009

It's about time the Rudd Government and the Turnbull Coalition put aside their adversarial posturing on climate change.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Malcolm

I am not at all surprised that you have rejected the science provided by NASA (although many people, including astronauts, wouldn't). I did not really believe you were sincere in learning about climate change. And commented on such in my previous post. I could further waste my valuable time with links to equally august sites such as our own CSIRO or even the Bureau of Meteorology, who also concur that climate change is happening and that 6 billion human beings are having an impact.

While climate change is a part of the natural cycle of this planet, at no time before has this planet had a species so adept at exploiting resources without any check or balance.

However, I am not going to argue with you, except to say that if you "quickly read" the NASA, then you learned nothing and had no intention of learning anything.

The majority of the world's scientists agree on both the fact and the cause of climate change. However you don't even have to accept that. One fact you cannot ignore is that we are on a finite world with finite resources, therefore, transitioning to clean sustainable technologies is a win/win situation.

To do nothing is abject stupidity.
Posted by Fractelle, Friday, 25 September 2009 12:50:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Clownfish
Before I can defend eco fascism, you have to substantiate it. In my experience the rhetoric is all on the side of denialists. Can you cut and paste a few examples of the sort of rhetoric you find so alarming? You seem to be doing all the name calling. Presumably my disparaging democracy is an instance? Sorry, but I have no sacred cows. Our democratic system has no helm; it follows its set course, but when agility is called for it’s like the Titanic. Democracy is rule by the majority, whose collective judgement is utterly parochial. We keep blaming politicians, but they are the polished mirrors of the electorate. The conservatives are just being conservative, the issue isn’t the issue; conservatism MEANS “let’s not be too hasty”. Anything that deviates from that line looks like hyperbole to the bean counters!
But that’s enough rhetoric.
Anyway, what I propose “is” democratic; a concerted effort at the level of nations, each of whose elite can “maybe” transcend vested interests. Reason and method are our safest contingency--as a race.
Posted by Squeers, Friday, 25 September 2009 9:31:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy