The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Privatising climate policy > Comments

Privatising climate policy : Comments

By Graham Dawson, published 17/9/2009

Government climate change policy should be abandoned: instead property rights to a climate unchanged by human activity should be protected by tort litigation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
mikk, as ever, love your work.
Posted by rpg, Thursday, 17 September 2009 1:12:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You nailed the problem Mikk.

And if we do manage to clean up our act, (and I know this is uncharitable) but the Graeme Dawsons of the world will still benefit.
Posted by Fractelle, Thursday, 17 September 2009 1:55:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dawson has at least the right aim in getting a balanced view on climate change into the public domain.
The IPCC dominates all and the debate has become so distorted that claims that its forecasts are peer reviewed are not only accepted - in spite of glaring evidence that the panel's process is emphatically not proper peer review - but taken as some sort of authentication or validation of its forecasts.
There is nothing that can be described an an independent check or audit of the IPCC's work, but even if there was you don't peer review forecasts. You make them and hope that they are somewhere close to reality.
However, Dawson's suggestions are unlikely to do anything more than enrich the lawyers and clog up the court rooms. In other words, make more of a mess than the existing legislation. Shame but there it is..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Thursday, 17 September 2009 2:00:12 PM
The author gets a gold star for out of the box thinking, which we desperately need in the Climate Change debate - since one side of the debate has decided there is no other side.

People should be encouraged to share their opinions on different perspectives and not denigrated for not complying with one view or another.

Out of many such ideas we might get a mix of alternative directions.

Many in the AGW believe it or burn in hell (you vile Plimerphile, denier!) camp just turn off immediately and reach for the insult and denigration dictionary whenever anything is proposed that is contrary to their beliefs.

I for one welcome all points of view, whether they are agreeable or not, to my reasoning.

I'm not a lawyer, (I don't mean to brag), and while I'm not sure this is workable, or helpful. It does float the idea of forcing the exagerations and claims of all sides of the debate to be brought under closer and more honest inspection, and that I welcome.
Posted by odo, Thursday, 17 September 2009 2:47:20 PM
Oh yes Mr Dawson “tort law.” That’s the style of litigation that was used by the plaintiffs against Exxon Oil and their ship ahoy, Valdez, with its drunken sailor at the helm, who trashed Prince William Sound’s ecosystems in Alaska. Twenty years of tort law and one appeal after another is petty cash to Exxon though isn’t it?

Twenty years on, the plaintiffs have yet to receive any punitive damages after losing their livelihoods (20% of plaintiffs have carked it) and Prince William Sound remains in recovery mode. Many marine life in recovery mode also but not a herring to be seen yet and the Orcas have looked elsewhere for a feed.

Too bad for the herring or the Orcas but none of this really matters though. Remember, what's important here is the health of Exxon. God forbid they are found responsible for ruining an entire ecosystem. Keep in mind if that happened it would effect shareholder confidence and Exxon's record profits.

May we pause a moment in silence and pray for Exxon. God bless Exxon and all that wonderful pollution they’ve given us plus a lovely heated planet! Sign of the Cross: “Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch.....and Amen to that!”

Thank you Mr Dawson.
Posted by Protagoras, Thursday, 17 September 2009 9:59:48 PM
protagoras 1, dawson 0
Posted by rpg, Friday, 18 September 2009 10:31:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy