The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dolphin dilemma > Comments

Dolphin dilemma : Comments

By Collin Mullane, published 7/9/2009

It is both intriguing and bewildering watching the hype over the documentary 'The Cove' on the practice of dolphin fishing in Japan.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Mikk, I think you will find that one doesn't have to be at the "top of the food chain" to have toxicity issues. Mussels and oysters being a good case in point.

Also one needs to be careful about only seeing a 'food chain' when it is more appropriately a 'food web' with much interconnectedness.

However there are plenty of seafood sources that are also at the top of the food web, including tuna, mackerel, squid, octopus and shark. Dolphins are not alone in this realm.

The main point that I was making is that in the absence of a better (broad context) alternative to the method of herding and culling dolphins, we must deal with what we have if some cultures are to see them as a food source. If you argue for them not be a food source without a valid reason, then you must argue for all animals to be treated the same, thus depriving the world population of valuable protein.

Would I eat animal meat if there was no way to humanely kill it? Yes. Would I kill it myself. Yes, if I had to do so. Would I hesitate - of course.

To say that we "do not need meat" is like saying we "do not need fresh fruit and veges" because we can rely on synthetic supplements. Bring on the Soylent!

I do not intend to ever become a vegan and, as I concluded, I know where my meat comes from and I'm OK with that
Posted by Collin Mullane, Monday, 7 September 2009 8:07:51 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I haven't seen The Cove, but I've seen the review in 'At the Movies' with David and Margaret and I've seen a sickening video at YouTube. If that wouldn't be enough to cause me never to want to eat dolphin, the 'cuteness' factor definitely would be. Sorry, I know it's an emotional argument but dolphins are for me closer to pets than say pigs, cows or chicken. That said, I try to eat as little meat as possible and I mainly stick to beef, as I hope that at least the cows are being killed in the least painful way available. As to pork, I only eat free range and I try to stick to the same principle when it comes to chicken.

About the dolphins: I was unaware of their aggressive behaviour as mentioned in one of the posts above. Still, in their enthusiasm dolphins are to me like little children that put their trust in you; they follow the fishermen to the cove, fully trusting them, only to be slaughtered and yes: that happens in a most gruesome way. The images I saw on the video were absolutely sickening. Everyone has the right to blame me of hypocrisy for the 'cuteness' element, but to see those animals struggling on the ground while blood gulps out of them is simply too much. In the video it takes some time before they die. Honestly, there must be a more 'humane' way to kill them.
Posted by KeesB, Monday, 7 September 2009 8:18:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So what you are saying Col is that cruelty and suffering do not matter when it comes to your food. You would be fine with torturing animals to death so you could eat them. Why would you "hesitate"? Could it be that even your humanity shows through, no matter how hard you try to suppress it, when it actually comes to the act of killing?

You say it is "cultural" that the Japanese eat dolphins.
Some cultures practiced cannibalism or human/animal sacrifices. Does that make it ok? Is it ok to throw virgins into volcanoes because "some cultures" practise/d such things?

How does saying no to dolphin eating extend to all other animals? It is not the eating of them we object to it is the cruel, sadistic and painful way they are slaughtered that is the problem. Most people have no problem with eating meat obtained humanly and without cruelty and if dolphins/whales could be killed humanely I for one would have no problem with it.

If saying we dont need meat is so wrong then please explain to me how and why vegetarians and vegans dont die from their lack of meat.

There are reasons why we have anti cruelty laws and I am totally in agreement with the sentiment of them. You should not inflict cruelty and suffering on any animal for any reason. If we killed pigs or sheep the same way the Japanese kill dolphins there would be an outcry
Posted by mikk, Tuesday, 8 September 2009 12:33:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*We slaughter our unborn and then complain about cruelty to dolphins in Japan.*

Yeah, we know runner. Every time you have some impure thoughts,
you cruely murder a few more hundreds of millions of your sperms
and send them down life's toilet, to a cruel death.

Shame on you runner!
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 8 September 2009 11:33:52 PM
What I most strongly object to is the clear and totally unwarranted connection between the words 'human' and 'humane'. I think the evidence before us clearly suggests 'Humanity' or 'Humaneness' is something we should all strive for; rather than something which is our natural birthright.
Because very few animals are capable of the inhumanity that so many humans exhibit; and the idea that if there are such animals, then it is perfectly permissible to just as inhumane as they are, is really stupid.
Humaneness is defined as the quality of compassion or consideration for others (people or animals).
I stopped eating meat not because I believe killing is wrong, -everything kills something, in order to live- but because I object to the inhumanity involved in the whole process. Not just physical cruelty or caging, but the stress the animals have to go through in even getting to the abattoir should be unacceptable to any 'Human'.
For these reasons I personally am more comfortable with eating kangaroo (cleanly shot in the paddock, all unaware) than eating beef.
As the world gets more and more crowded, and more and more (over a billion) people are malnourished, it becomes less and less justifiable to feed so much grain to animals and then eat the animal, instead of just eating the grain.
Posted by Grim, Sunday, 13 September 2009 10:33:25 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy