The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Preaching to the unconverted > Comments

Preaching to the unconverted : Comments

By Paul Harrison, published 3/9/2009

A new advertising campaign by the Christian Churches of Australia is unlikely to convert the non-believer.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Telling people about Jesus via "film" is uncontroversial and traditional. The Salvation Army pioneered the film business in Australia in the late 1800's and early 1900's, (well before Hollywood) which included features about Jesus.

Those who say it it will be ineffective misunderstand its rationale and purpose.

Those who criticize it because it is Christian unfortunately suggest that free speech in Western democracies appears not to extend to Christians. Interesting that free speech and free belief (or free unbelief) is a gift given to Western societies by a particular expression of Christianity - the Baptists - in the 1600's in England.

Those who don't like the ads will switch off or bag them out. Those who do will may inquire further or do nothing. That's the nature of advertising.

Let's wait and see

Goff
Posted by goff, Tuesday, 8 September 2009 9:21:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When choosing a charity to work for or donate to, I make sure they are not aligned with any religion, to ensure that my aid goes towards the people or cause intended without a religious agenda of proselytising.

Organisations such as Oxfam, Care Australia, Amnesty international, Médecins Sans Frontières are just a few of the well known global charities.

Also people who are altruistically inclined, who may not necessarily be very religious, but would be drawn to offer their services to religious based charities simply because they want to help.

It is insulting to people who are either not Christian or of any formal religion to claim that we are less empathetic, charitable or compassionate. The foundations of religion must be very shaky indeed, if believers cannot entertain the fact that non-religious people are just as caring and giving (if not more so). Therefore, to suggest that without religion there would be no compassion, is completely wrong and 'unChristian' - irony intended.
Posted by Fractelle, Tuesday, 8 September 2009 11:49:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No problem suzeonline. Most on OLO cannot abide that sort of deep rooted resentment.

"Regarding the Red Cross: the 'cross' has little to do with Christianity, it is the Swiss flag colour reversed in recognition of the nationality of the founder of that organisation."

True Doug, and while understood by us here in the West,try and explain it to those in nations where Christianity is not a majority faith and where there is suspicion of Christian motives. The Cross is a strong Christian symbol regardless of its origins.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 8 September 2009 12:39:27 PM
Wow Pelican and Suzionline to think I would be 'nasty' enough to point out that your good works will not get you to heaven. Your slandering or name calling won't change the truth. Like every other son of adam or daughter of Eve faith in Christ is your only hope. Your attempts of your good works outdoing your sinful natures might gain you a few pats on the back by fellow 'do gooders' but will count for nothing before a holy God. Again I hope you come to your senses before that day. If I was really that nasty I would wish to opposite. Christ certainly paid a high price for your self righteousness.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 8 September 2009 1:21:56 PM
runner
I sometimes wonder whether you hear yourself sometimes. You are the one name calling and slandering - a bit of self-awareness would not go astray.

It is a bit rich when you of all people are calling others self righteous. Your dim view of your own species is more insulting to the idea of Jesus and what he died for - at least his actions and life implied his own faith and hope in his fellowmen.

As for heaven, I am not sure what your point is. Atheists do not believe there is a heaven or a hell. Even the Pope has said hell was more a metaphorical concept for evil.

Of late I am starting to wonder if OLO has some 'plants' to stimulate conversation on certain issues. There are a couple of quite extremist posters when it comes to religion or gender that can't possibly be real. No-one thinks like this in the real world surely.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 8 September 2009 8:40:39 PM
Pelican

As someone who has been saved by grace alone you are totally wrong if you think that I think that I will gain access to heaven by my own merits. Nothing is further from the truth.

Jesus found that even his best mates deserted Him when He went to the cross as He foretold. This is how much confidence He had in humanity.

You write 'Atheists do not believe there is a heaven or a hell.' They make Jesus out to be a liar. Personally I think the Only One who never lied is to be believed. Silly little stories like evolution confirm man's bent on lying and especially when it is called science.

I am really not sure why you find my views extreme. I actually function quite well in society and work across many people with many different faiths (including secularism).
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 8 September 2009 11:22:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy