The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Laos’ forgotten women - micro-credit in action > Comments

Laos’ forgotten women - micro-credit in action : Comments

By Charlotte Halligan, published 25/8/2009

Scratch beneath the surface of Laos’ burgeoning tourist scene, and you will see a country suffering with poverty and inequality.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Interesting article, particularly since I have also visited Laos.

Never heard of the whole concept of micro-credit either.

I remember thinking when I visited that the problems in Laos were essentially political - they had a Communist Government which was reluctant to embrace globalisation and capitalism - at Luang Prabang I recall that electricity was rationed during certain hours of the day. The mountainous terrain meant that infrastructure was needed in the form of bridges, overpasses, tunnels etc but that was lacking. Fortunately, tourism was sustaining economic growth in a big way, raising standards of living in that country.

Its a beautiful country and I sincerely wish its people well. Hopefully their government embraces economic liberalisation in order to bring its people out of poverty.
Posted by AJFA, Tuesday, 25 August 2009 9:29:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy