The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What ails Australia's universities? > Comments

What ails Australia's universities? : Comments

By Marko Beljac, published 12/8/2009

We should seek to create autonomous universities free of control from outside institutions.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Q&A
I’ve noticed that the author also used a vernacular when describing a build (i.e “s…th….e).

All the years of studying arts and humanities has done much for the author’s vocabulary.

Please prove me wrong that Australian schools and universities do not import just about everything they purchase (which only makes students believe that Australian products are inferior).

The universities are now saturated with feminists, and please nominate just one such feminist who has ever said a single positive word regards the male gender.

Not only do these universities import just about everything they use, many of their staff also go about their daily task of denigrating 50% of the Australian population.

Time to start shutting universities down, which appears to be what governments are doing.
Posted by vanna, Thursday, 13 August 2009 10:32:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
cheryl, there is absolutely nothing "clever" about the melbourne model. it is the same crap, done slower, a parody of the quality liberal arts programs in america.
Posted by bushbasher, Thursday, 13 August 2009 10:46:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bushbasher is another one using the vernacular. A great deal of good arts and humanities courses do when the graduates talk in terms of: -
"s...th....e"
"b..ls..t"
"c..p"

The author wants universities to be free of outside institutions (ie. no accountability). Shortly universities won't even be using a dictionary.

Start shutting Australian universities down.
Posted by vanna, Friday, 14 August 2009 8:55:11 AM
From my personal experience at university, I would have to agree with Vanna.

Honest debate and intellectual freedom were strangled to death in Australian universities long ago. The prevailing academic culture is that deemed acceptable by left-wing professors and student activists. Any challenge to that culture is punished by marking the uppity student down, as well as ad hominem attacks along the lines of "racist", "ethnocentrist" and, my personal favourites, "misguided" and "uninformed". Note how they hijack the intellectual high ground by pretending to be privy to facts that we stupid commoners are not. Makes them look like they know what they're talking about!

Those of us who disagreed with the numerous offensive stances taken by our professors (and there were many of us) learnt to simply keep our heads down and just get through the course. There is no arguing with people who can and do fail you on the grounds of personal differences - though they present it as something else.

Universities are simply hotbeds of extremist ideologies, trendily masquerading as compassionate and humanistic activism. In a way, they are campaigning for noble goals: Equality for all cultures (except Western culture); equality of all peoples (except whites); understanding and tolerance (whites must understand and tolerate, no matter what); and honest appraisals of history (everything was the white man's fault).

The real success of equality will be found in my fellow students who were female and/or of non-white background, who also took umbrage with the extremist views forced down our throats. Don't dismiss all university students as dumb - we are a microcosm of society. Small, loud minority, and a quieter, more commonsense majority.
Posted by benny tea, Friday, 14 August 2009 10:55:08 AM
benny tea

I agree with your general view, but there are some humnanities academics that are more balanced, albeit they may be a quiet minority.

Challenge for those more driven to offer a balanced view of the evidence is to get published to refute the status quo.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 14 August 2009 12:35:34 PM
Vanna

<< The education system purchases almost nothing from Australian companies and imports almost everything ... This simply teaches students to believe that Australian products are inferior ... Universities are much a part of this system of importation, and with so many feminists now employed in Australian universities, these universities have also become a main center for discrimination, bigotry and gender prejudice ... More universities should be shut down, and the money saved directed into other areas of education. >>

What actually has your comment got to do with the article?

You are sounding like an aggrieved supplier of goods/services to universities that has a race/gender issue and who just wants to hijack the article for your own personal agenda.

Ok, you have a problem ... start a general discussion thread and tell us about it.

Close down universities? What next ... close down TAFE, put the shutters up on the private/public school system, or black-list the ABC Learning Centres because they don't use locally resourced stuff.

As much as I hate the concept of globalisation and neo-con "free market" economics - we're stuck with it.

It was the Howard government who started pulling resources and finance out of universities, forcing them to chase funds where and when they could, and often forcing them to acquire goods/services at the cheapest cost.

That is no excuse to shut them down.

My background is in science and engineering, not humanities/arts. Whilst I think not enough effort is being made to attract students/staff/resources to the fundamental disciplines, I understand why the 'softer' options are preferred - survival.
Posted by Q&A, Saturday, 15 August 2009 12:22:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy