The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gallipoli good, Vietnam bad > Comments

Gallipoli good, Vietnam bad : Comments

By Sasha Uzunov, published 21/7/2009

Vietnam will remain Australia’s most controversial of wars because of the simple fact it was the first television war.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
SJF you are an idiot.

Do us a favour and stop contributing to global warming.

Its unfortunate that there are ungrateful oxygen thieves such as yourself strutting around Australia. Your able to steal our oxygen due to those special individuals that volunteer their services to the ADF to protect this nation from potential threat or harm.

Servicemen and women are acknowledged last in the order of march after the self proclaimed elite highly paid well cared for sporting heroes and parliamentarians of this nation.

Go and throw on some boots and grab a rifle and find out for yourself what war is all about instead of boring us all with your naive highly unintelligent comments.

Servicemen and women past and present are the elite heroes of this nation and many will never have the chance to defend themselves against oxygen thieves such as yourself.

One day the enemy may very well end up on our doorstep and we shall see where your morals on warfare stand.

Individuals such as myself will need to weigh up the options as to which side is going to cause me the least amount of harm as I'm sick of garbage such as yourself fluttering around Australia. Similar to making a voting decision.

For your personal benefit Pte Benjamin Ranaudo another one of our HEROES from the ADF was killed in Afghanistan the other day.

RIP MATE, Like those that have fallen before you you will never be forgotten.

Duty First
Posted by amazed, Friday, 24 July 2009 5:11:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"I took issue with your use of the words ‘overwhelming public support’ for the war. To me, a war in which 62% (almost 2-thirds) of eligible men did NOT enlist does not constitute overwhelming public support".
Where did this figure come from? The figure was that bout half of Australian eligible men did not enlist.
Name me one war where over half of eligible men voluntarily enlisted.
Has it ocurred to you that maybe there were men engaged in important non-war related activities eg farming?
"Why was the Queensland Government Printing Office (the only state government openly opposed to conscription) shut down and placed under military guard?"
Because they were opposed to conscription.
"Yet the main reason that politicians keep declaring wars is because they know there is always a ready supply of morally naive, eager young warriors to fight them."
Yes SJF blame it on the warriors ...not your failure to convince the Australian electorate to pursue an alternative course. You are just p...in the wind. Condemn my father and my late uncles who served in WW2 as morally naive, eager young warriors. Who cares they are all dead.
Posted by blairbar, Friday, 24 July 2009 6:59:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Amazed,

i thought i was listening to Colonel Jessup:

You can't handle the truth! I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand to post.

We all know what heppened to him.
Posted by barney25, Saturday, 25 July 2009 7:38:07 PM
barney25: Colonel Jessup? More like Lieutenant Parmenter, I reckon.

Not a good look for the ADF.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 25 July 2009 8:22:33 PM
blairbar

I'm not sure where you got your enlistment statistics from, but I got mine from the Australian War Memorial site, which is collaborated by the Anzac Day site.

AWM: '416, 809 Australians enlisted for service in the First World War, representing 38.7% of the total male population aged between 18 to 44.'
http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/enlistment/ww1.asp

‘Yes SJF blame it on the warriors ...not your failure to convince the Australian electorate to pursue an alternative course.’

The Australian electorate has a history of opposing the particularly imperial brand of warfare Australia engages in (from the Boer War to Iraq), and successive war governments have a corresponding history of ignoring its wishes and gagging its protests. This is why we have to have an Anzac tradition, to create a network of romantic lies about soldiers defending our freedoms while depriving other countries of theirs.

About your dad … I believe the Pacific theatre of WWII is the only war Australia has fought in its 220-year history that actually had a sound practical and moral basis to it. I’m not a pacifist. I’m just particular about the wars we fight - especially as the mother of two sons.
Posted by SJF, Sunday, 26 July 2009 10:03:03 AM
Dear SJF
1."I'm not sure where you got your enlistment statistics from, but I got mine from the Australian War Memorial site, which is collaborated by the Anzac Day site.
AWM: '416, 809 Australians enlisted for service in the First World War, representing 38.7% of the total male population aged between 18 to 44."
My source: http://www.anzacday.org.au/history/ww1/anecdotes/stats01.html
No difference in numbers really; just a different age grouping for eligible males.
2."The Australian electorate has a history of opposing the particularly imperial brand of warfare". Can you provide one example, SJF, of a government in Australia supporting a particular war being voted out and replaced by a new government opposing the war?
3.My dad was in the RAAF and served in the UK and Iceland. His bother was a Rat of Tobruk and later served in the Pacific theatre. My mum's brother was a prisoner on the Burma-Thailand death railway. Silly "morally naive, eager young warriors". They were all members of the RSL, strong believers in the Anzac tradition and helped, no doubt,"to create a network of romantic lies about soldiers defending our freedoms."
Posted by blairbar, Sunday, 26 July 2009 11:40:12 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy