The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Schools, religion and community diversity > Comments

Schools, religion and community diversity : Comments

By Tim Mander, published 17/7/2009

Those who argue for the exclusion of all religion from schools seek to have students blinkered and their education censored.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17
  13. All
I've mentioned before that I attended a Queensland Catholic school. Interestingly, it was there that I participated in a comparative religion program. Study of Religion, a senior Authority subject, is a social science subject which examines the social impact of religion. It also introduces the idea of the 'seven dimensions of religion' - basically dissecting religious practice and belief to identify what makes religion tick. It was a very interesting subject. I learnt a lot about Islam, Judaism and Buddhism. I went on excursions to various temples and places of worship, spoke to many people of diverse beliefs and developed quite a good understanding of the world around me. While this subject is offered, to the best of my knowledge, by every Catholic school in Queensland, it is not on offer at many state schools.

I'm interested in this idea that state schools are required to teach religion. It appears that my employer is failing to meet his requirements. We have a chaplain, but his job is primarily to behave like a model Christian. He doesn't preach, he doesn't hand out too many brochures. He runs a youth group with voluntary attendance (in fact, students asked him to set this up), but otherwise he just teaches kids to be polite and to be nice to each other. The name 'Jesus' very rarely passes his lips. All this in a state school. While I don't really support the idea of a chaplaincy in state schools, I think that many of the objectors may simply jump to conclusions without too much information. Certainly the same job could be done by a non-religious person, but hell - Education Queensland doesn't pay his wages, so who am I to complain?
Posted by Otokonoko, Friday, 17 July 2009 11:58:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can only add my voice to the above as Mander has been thoroughly routed. As I too have said before in this forum, I want my four primary school kids to learn about religion, but from an objective viewpoint. Ironically, it is often the religious private schools that provide “qualified” educators and balance on the subject, and the state schools that have to put up with fundamentalist voodoo administered by ignorant volunteers. As for the chaplaincy, rather than impartial and highly qualified counsellors offering “disinterested” and practical support—of the sort to be found in places like the Wesley Hospital, incidentally—vulnerable kids are targeted by a highly organised “mission” and opportunistically introduced into the blinkered world of these oleaginous zealots. It was a cheap solution for the Howard agenda to drag Australia back to the good old days of Christian hegemony, only too eagerly taken up by this overwhelmingly fundamentalist cohort. Where, Tim Mander, is this “overwhelming body of ‘opinion’ [no ‘evidence’ hey?] that affirms the value of mentors”, btw? You could use their support now.
In any case, as I say, I don’t object to “disinterested” and qualified mentors and counsellors; that would be great, just as it would be great for religious education to be part of the curriculum—that is, a global perspective on the teeming diversity of faiths, and their ‘effects’, through history. Government and government schools should be purged of religious bias. Religion is a private prerogative—indeed, even parents should respect that privacy, and stop imposing on the naive sensibilities of children.
Posted by Squeers, Saturday, 18 July 2009 6:11:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tim.
A very mild and reasonable piece but I see that you have attracted the usual cast of characters with outragious views. These people are not rational, they give a kneejerk response to anything that is positive of religion. So be of good cheer. There are those of us who appreciate your well reasoned attitude.
Peter Sellick
Posted by Sells, Saturday, 18 July 2009 1:50:25 PM
"...These people are not rational, they give a kneejerk response to anything that is positive of religion." -- Peter Sellick

And religion IS rational? Damn, I knew I should have paid more attention during those Scripture lessons! Have faith in your Sky Fairy, Peter -- he'll sort things out!

Eventually...
Posted by Jon J, Saturday, 18 July 2009 3:55:40 PM
sells:

*) please point out how the posts in response to mander are "irrational" or "outrageous".

*) please identify where mander's "well reasoned attitude" actually addresses any of the substance of wilson's article.

put up or shut up.
Posted by bushbasher, Saturday, 18 July 2009 4:05:49 PM
Tim Mander seems to think that we wont see that his desire is to promote christianity. If it wasn't then there would be no trouble, just get the chaplains and R.I. classes out and put proper comparative religious studies in.

And yes, the chaplains can be nice folks. The one at my daughters school, that many parents fought hard to keep out, is a very nice lady. That doesn't mean the children don't know what the chaplains represent and are not influenced by the chaplains sanctioned position.

Further the schools have been bending and abusing the processes meant to protect the rights of parents that object. For example my daughter's school has pushed through a consent form for the chaplain against the objections of parents, and outside the intention of the legislation. It basically puts parents in the position of agreeing to the chaplain being present in major school activities or our kid missing out on those activities. Additionally kids are regularly sent to christian fundamentalist classes without parental consent where kids are given lollies as rewards for agreeing!

Finally, in the midst of all this we get the Gideons given free access to our kids, without consent or notification. This is all a bad deal.
Posted by Dan Dare, Saturday, 18 July 2009 5:04:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17