The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia takes and the Pacific gives in trade talks > Comments

Australia takes and the Pacific gives in trade talks : Comments

By Adam Wolfenden, published 9/7/2009

How Australia bullies its neighbours on trade.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
‘You do have to hand it to the Australian and New Zealanders; they comprehensively outmanoeuvred and outplayed their Pacific counterparts.’

That’s what we expect from Australians acting on behalf of our country; the New Zealanders would also expect nothing less of their people. Neither country is a charity, nor does Samoa have more rights than any other trading partner.

Evoking Australians to not ‘let their government get away with pushing their neighbours around like this’ is ludicrous. Just imagine the outcry if trade officials were found to be wanting in their duties to Australia and Australians. Free trade is there for developing countries to make use of; Australia doesn’t have to handicap itself further
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 9 July 2009 11:14:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh, I imagine the Spanish expressed similar sentiments prior to pillaging the Aztecs of South America, and making off with enough gold to keep Spain wealthy for generations.

I suppose things are indeed simpler your way...
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 9 July 2009 4:16:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think that you are being just a little too precious, TRTL.

There are limits to what can or should be done for countries and individuals, and I think Samoa has had a pretty good run from Austalia already
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 9 July 2009 8:09:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy