The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Muzzling 'The Chaser' - the politics behind the outrage > Comments

Muzzling 'The Chaser' - the politics behind the outrage : Comments

By Stuart Munckton, published 12/6/2009

The decision to suspend 'The Chaser' sets a dangerous precedent of silencing comedians whose job it is to satirise society.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
I was shocked at the lack of judgement....however, banning them for 2 weeks is ridiculous. Just increase the appropriate editorial oversight.

The other skit which was a shocker was the send-up of Sophia Loren, who had come out for a charity.

She took it with grace ...... but I cringed with the offensiveness of the event. I was very disappointed that night.

Otherwise they have been terrific.
Posted by Ralph Bennett, Friday, 12 June 2009 2:09:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm more offended by those celebrities that use sick kids as props to advertise their own compassion.

Some do it quietly and away from the spotlight but many don't perform until the cameras are on.

Many people who claim to have strong opinions about this recent stunt also claim not to watch it.
Posted by wobbles, Friday, 12 June 2009 3:28:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So Wobbles what was the point of the skit?
Posted by blairbar, Friday, 12 June 2009 3:50:30 PM
"What part of the tradition in Australian humour seeks out a defenceless group as its target viz dying kids, but at the same time the audience doesn't understand what the point of the skit was all about?"

IMO, the Chaser aren't so dumb or insensitive as to satirise the recipients of the aid. Their only legitimate function is to point out the hooks that charity groups use to tear-jerk money out of the public. The deeper question is whether or not the income the charities attract is used for the purposes as understood by the donating public or whether it is just smart advertising to prop up the charity industry for its own ends.
Posted by RobP, Friday, 12 June 2009 4:05:22 PM
You only have to check out the horrendous Footy Show skit

http://livenews.com.au/rss-link/johns-brothers-footy-show-in-hot-water-again/2009/5/28/208040

to get a handle on how much The Chaser has been punished for the crime of 'poor taste'.

There's no comparison.The Footy Shows mark was savage and without any saving value -- and that's not the first time the program has wallowed in vilifying either women or gay men. But no one is saying that they should taken off the air for 2 weeks. So why should The Chaser wear these consequences.

The main difference is that the Footy Show can get away with its entrenched mysogyny and homophobia because under cover of sport these attitudes are tolerated.

Why?

Within the milieu of football we are all very aware what that the culture offers women in regard to rape and indecent assault -- and what is registered across all codes as a practiced homophobia.
Posted by ratbagradio, Friday, 12 June 2009 4:20:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think I have watched one show of the chaser and found it stupid. I wouldn't waste my time again.

I also would not go to see a stand up comedian who just uses foul language.

Hope they cancel the chaser for good.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 12 June 2009 4:43:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy