The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Errol Flynn, man in tights > Comments

Errol Flynn, man in tights : Comments

By Simon Caterson, published 10/6/2009

Errol Flynn was carried to movie superstardom by the best pair of male legs in the history of cinema.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
In his autobiography, My Wicked, Wicked Ways, Flynn claimed that his life was dominated by what he called counterphobia - that he was frightened of everything so constantly put himself in danger in order to prove that he could keep himself safe. The sad lament of the thrill addict. No wonder he drank so much.

It must have also felt hypocritical for him, as a political leftie, Spanish Civil War volunteer, fan and friend of Fidel Castro and son of an Irish academic, to carve a career out of movies that upheld a tradition of Anglo-white-supremacist imperialism.

Flynn was definitely a beautiful looking man, but a bit too chiselled and androgynous for my taste. As classic swashbuckler heroes in tights go, Stewart Granger did it much better for me, and as for bad-behaving Hollywood boys of the Golden screen, Robert Mitchum was the thinking woman's macho par excellence.

Ooh. Anyone notice it's getting a little warm in here ...
Posted by SJF, Wednesday, 10 June 2009 9:36:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Annoying isn't it! So handsome, so virile, so memorable and SO BAD! He lived fast and died young like so many modern pop stars. Old-fashioned films, anachronistic expressions, tights of all things, but we remember him. How did he do that? So many others with acting lessons, perfect teeth, contacts, and whatever else it ought to take, and they don't make it. It's a mystery. And having achieved it, he destroyed everything. Drank himself to death. What a great article you've written Simon Caterson. I enjoyed reading it. Errol Flynn's life is a fascinating subject.
Posted by mrs pierno, Wednesday, 10 June 2009 4:52:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Errol was never going to die wondering of what could have been.He lived life to his perception of what was the ultimate experience,but I've never heard a bad word about him achieving such success at the expense of his fellow human beings.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 10 June 2009 7:56:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy