The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Racist Australia > Comments

Racist Australia : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 11/6/2009

Polite and sometimes not-so-polite racism is the underbelly of conservative politics and conservative attitudes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
Banjo
I do not understand you! Do you think all lebanese are same? There are good and bad lebanese, smart and supid, religious or non religious, hard working and lazy, Lebanese conservatives and lebanese progresives, Cristians or Muslims.
6-7 years before a lebanese came in my workplace for permanent work. He smoked very much and I said him to reduce the smoking and work harder in other case he will lose his job. He answered to me that hard work or not he will lose his job because he is lebanese.
NO Banjo HE WAS NOT MUSLIM, HE WAS A CRISTIAN, MARRIED WITH A GREEK WOMAN.
We have isoleted and rejected Lebanese, we have created to them huge problems.
I REPEAD MY SUGGESTION, FOR THE CREATION OF AN ASSOCIATION WHICH WILL PROMOTE THE FRIENDCHIP WITH LEBANESE PEOPLE.
WE SHOULD LOOK TO THE FUTURE AND TRY TO FIND WAYS TO CREATE THE BEST POSIBLE FUTURE FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS, INCLUDING OUR LEBANESE BROTHERS.
Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Sunday, 14 June 2009 6:50:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo, I carefully did not say you are racist. If you objected to a whole range of different groups on the basis that they are genetically different from you, then you would be. I have seen so sign of that. I take it that your objection is to people whose culture makes them prone to misbehaviour.

You say, though, 'My information, bringing me to this conclusion, is from mainly media reports, posts on forums like OLO, letters to editors, statements by former police officers, my own personal experiences and so on. These have numbered in their thousands over the years and are the basis of public opinion.' Some of these are obviously more reliable than others, but let's put that aside. Do you have a list of these thousands of cases? Have you checked that there is no doubling up? Have you determined which of the reports are merely impressionistic? And have you determined what the proportions of objectionable Lebanese are to the total set of Lebanese immigrants?
Posted by ozbib, Sunday, 14 June 2009 8:25:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As an old bloke going on 89, I'm with you, Poddy.

Can well remember us litle kids calling Italian migrants Dagoes and Dings in Buntine in 1929.

And where did we learn it from?

No one else but our parents, just as we learnt to call our local Abo's, Boongs, who in a white society we unfortunately felt would never be much good for anything.

And sadly enough, while since the end of WW2 it seemed Italians et al, have become just one of us and better, our Blacks, apart from their special adaptability to ball gathering and kicking goals in AFL, sadly enough are still said by our country whites, to be still not much good for anything else
Posted by bushbred, Monday, 15 June 2009 12:01:16 PM
Antonios and Ozbib,
As i have said before, most migrants appreciate the freedom of our lifestyle and make every endeavour to make the best life for themselves and family that they can. However that does not excuse those that do not. There are some groups that cannot or will not try to get along with others in the community and Lebanese muslims are one such group. Now not entirely all may not hold us in contempt but there is more than enough for me to conclude that we should not allow any more in. The evidence has been there for 20-30 years. Now if it happens that it gives the remainder a bad name then that is a problem for them, and their 'community leaders' to address.

As I also said before, there is just a few other groups that I would treat the same.

Croats and Serbs should also be refused entry, because they obviously refuse to leave their old hatreds for each other behind. They fight each other at sporting fixtures, with the tennis being the latest, and some of that violence has resulted in cars burnt and shots fired into buildings. We can well do without paying the costs of trying to keep the peace between these two groups and allowing more to enter only compounds the issue.

Those groups that carry out FGM on little girls also should be banned. The incidence is increasing and after 15 years of education we must admit failure. We have given them every opportunity by turning a blind eye, as it is against our laws. No more of those groups should get entry and prosecutions should occur forthwith.

Those groups that carry out forced marriages should also be stopped and the occurrances prosecuted.

Those groups that carry out dog fights and cock fights should also be banned. These activities have also been going on for years.

The conduct of all the above groups is simply unacceptable and if we want a safe and cohesive society we should stop allowing any more in.
Posted by Banjo, Monday, 15 June 2009 5:19:55 PM
I for one believe that racism is much more ubiquitous than being at the "underbelly of conservative politics and conservative attitudes".
Yes and for sure the conservatives have learned how to disguise their beliefs (just) but these same beliefs are also to be found within the foundational intellect thinking of the Left. The real losers between this ongoing war about virtues between the left and the right are those that encounter racism (be it personal or institutional) on a daily, yearly basis. To simply accord racism to be parallel with traditional political polarities is simple to do - if not a lazy attempt to understand what racism actually is. This article gets four out of ten from this little black duck.
Posted by Rainier, Monday, 15 June 2009 5:36:52 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
George,
Like you, I waited for some time after I came here before doing anything more than asking questions. I have also sought to make a positive contribution in a variety of ways.
However, there were some things that were clearly wrong, and needed fixing. I saw six policemen standing around a prostrate demonstrator at the Melbourne Springbok test in 1971, repeatedly hitting the demonstrator with their night sticks. He could not escape—four of the cops were standing on his limbs. I saw a number of other instances of police brutality. I spoke to a policeman who was regretting that he had not been at the demonstration, because he enjoyed bashing ‘these people’. . I was at a trial—or rather, an appeal--in which a friend of mine proved, with photographs and eyewitness accounts that two police had lied on oath at the trial where he was convicted.
I learned that in 1961 and in 1969, the Australian people had voted for the ALP, but that the gerrymander had kept them out of office. It became clear that Australia was a partially managed democracy, not quite a real one. When the ALP took office, they held a referendum on equalising electorates, but instead of requiring them to be close to equal in voters, the referendum would have required them to be equal in population—thus giving the ALP a long term advantage. They were not committed to democracy either. There were also gerrymanders operating in the states. There were plainly limitations to the commitment of Australians at the time to the principles of democracy.
I learned that newspapers had repeatedly refused to accept advertisements opposing the Vietnam war. I learned that ASIO had sought to prevent the appointment of a professor at Sydney University because the man was a Jew. I heard Arthur Calwell condemn miscegenation (he pronounced it ‘miskegnation”, and Henry Bolte agree. I learned that police in Adelaide had thrown a homosexual man into the River Torrens, and watched him drown.
I read condemnation of ‘new Australians’ who dared to argue for changes in Australian society.
Posted by ozbib, Monday, 15 June 2009 9:22:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All