The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sledgehammers and footynuts > Comments

Sledgehammers and footynuts : Comments

By Alex Perrottet, published 19/5/2009

It seems people love to report on what promiscuous teens get up to, rather than discussing ways to help young people behave better.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
I don't get the impression that the author is imposing their morals on people, or being prudish / pc.

The behaviour is not encouraged as it is unhealthy and leads to a range of problems. A bit like ads discouraging excessive sun-tanning, smoking and alcoholism. You can take it or leave it, but you can't deny that there are consequences and shouldn't pretend to young people that there are no strings attached to rampant sexual permissiveness.

It's not a matter of conforming to 'society's norms'. I agree with Alex that there is objective upright moral behaviour. People from all times and places should be able to understand it. If people don't understand it, it is not because they are enlightened by some special detachment from 'society's agenda.' It's more likely that they need to be told about how to behave in public, treat a female and avoid making decisions that could screw their life up.
Posted by stop&think, Tuesday, 19 May 2009 3:42:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This latest NRL incident should come as
a stern warning to both players and young
women to re-think their behaviour. As one
newspaper columnist pointed out (sorry,
I don't remember which one -I've read so
many on this subject)...For so long,
there's been incidents, whether it was drugs,
alcohol or abuse of women, and people have
walked away from.

Let's hope the shock of the after-effects of
this incident will be a wake-up call - that
no one walks away from. That it sends a message
to all concerned.

That night turned sour at the time the door opened
and other players walked in. From that moment on
this event was headed for disaster and tears.

From the time the other blokes walked into the room,
(the extra party) they're in the wrong.

And even if they felt at that time, as though she gives
consent. it's still going to end up wrong.
She's in no position to make that decision. They
completely hijacked her. And when alcohol is involved -
it becomes even more complicated - a grey area - in
which only a morally shortchanged unmanly indecent guy
would take advantage of. And the excuse - she consented -
simply doesn't hold much weight especially when the
eyewitness accounts are 10 against one.

The football clubs need to know that the public is running
out of patience with immoral, immature, and unmanly
behaviour from those who wear their colours...

It's killing not only the game - but leaving so many
victims in its wake - including the wives and families
of the guys who took part - married guys - at least one in his
30s - who know better. The culture of the sport
needs to change.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 19 May 2009 7:41:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perrottet:"It was objectively wrong for all"

On what grounds? The woman is getting paid-off with compenstion (it's always nice to have a nice clean teat to suck on) and has since married (a footballer) and we have only her word that she suffered as she claims. Johns was wrong to break his marriage vows, unquestionably, but otherwise all was fine until the four Corners grrrls decided to rake some muck. So what was "objectively wrong"?

The New Wowsers are great at claiming "objectivity", but not so good at backing it with some rationality, it seems.

Foxy:"the public is running
out of patience with immoral, immature, and unmanly
behaviour from those who wear their colours..."

The "public" seem pretty equally divided. The grrrls brigade, OTOH, have seen this as a free kick for them and rushed in, never bothering to check the facts. There were so many Doc Martens swinging wildly at the end of hairy legs on Tuesday last that I thought there was a remake of Arachnophobia being shot at Movie World.

The New Wowsers are not the sole determinators of what constitutes acceptable behaviours. The grrls brigade in the media has failed dismally in their duty as reporters to report the facts honestly and as fully as possible. Sarah Ferguson of Four Corners and her producers deserve censure in the strongest possible terms for putting to air a badly unbalanced and defamatory story without checking what seem to have been widely available facts.

My own suspicion is that this incident will backfire badly on the bandwagon riders, such as Pru Goward, who frankly looks like a complete tosser over her pronouncements on the matter, as well as Kate Ellis, the Federal sports Minister, who was a bit late, but managed to grab hold as the bandwagon sailed past.

The biggest lessons to learn are that when women say yes, they mean "yes for now, but I might change my mind later and then you'll be in strife" and that many, many women think that a 19 year-old "girl" is incapable of making up her own mind
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 20 May 2009 5:45:30 AM
...and etc,...etc,.....etc,....................etc,.................

Just a mantra. Man-tra-la-la-la-la!
Posted by Ginx, Thursday, 21 May 2009 2:13:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy