The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Criticising the Israeli government or anti-Semitism? > Comments

Criticising the Israeli government or anti-Semitism? : Comments

By Dave Smith, published 14/5/2009

It has become politically fashionable to equate any criticism of the government of Israel with anti-Semitism.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Nicely put, Dave. When I express these views to my friends, as I often do, I usually get a patient, tolerant hearing, but it is not until some time later that I get some form of acceptance.

I receive copies of KEVINPM, a newsletter from the Prime Minister, the last one headed

"Welcome to KevinPM, where we can communicate about the big challenges confronting Australia"
Kevin Rudd

Feedback is invited and the last 100 submissions are published. My feedback posed the question "Does the Australian Government have an independent view on the Israel/Palestine issue?" This was not included in the sbmissions and a couple of weeks later I asked a similar question, which prompted a personal reply from someone associated with the newsletter, asking me to refer the question to my MP or a "duty Senator".

My question was censored and I was very disappointed with the Rudd Government, who I otherwise would support. I really must write to Stephen Smith directly with this question because I believe it should be answered.
Posted by Stan1, Thursday, 14 May 2009 6:42:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Antony Loewenstein puts it so well
in his book, "My Israel Question,"
when he points out:

"Yes, antisemitism must be fought,
but suggesting that criticism of
the state of Israel is unrelated
to Israeli action makes as much sense
as claiming that rising anti-Americanism
has no connection with the quagmire in Iraq.

Shaming critics into submission does nothing
but inflame tensions while ignoring the vitally
important task of examining modern anti-semitism."

Akiva Eldar summed up in "Haaretz,":

"It is much easier to claim the entire world
is against us than admit that the state of
Israel, which rose as a refuge and a source of
pride for Jews...has become a genuine source
of danger and a source of shameful embarrasment
to Jews who choose to live outside its border."

Therefore calling critics of Israel anti-semitic
is a strategy intended to stifle criticism and
dissent.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 14 May 2009 8:26:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As soon as I saw the Antisemitism extension to all Semites defense I knew what to expect. Antisemitism belongs to the Jews alone now, leave it alone.
If you want to trademark racism towards Arabs promote something else.
Posted by ShaneG, Thursday, 14 May 2009 10:19:03 PM
Despite the knockers to the proposition put by Passy for a Secular State where all have equal Rights, I have no doubts that this is the final solution which will certainly be difficult given the current mind set of the Zionist leaders, but nevertheless a better proposition that the two state proposals which Netanyahu and his ilk will never countenance.

Liberal supporter of Zionism cannot be aware of the Zionism of today but can get an insight from the treatment of Human Rights Activist Ezra Nawi featured in this rare video of Israeli Occupation Forces in action. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysIaQUJWBdk>
There are many more video clips to be found on UTube if you really want to know what's going on in Israel.
Posted by maracas1, Thursday, 14 May 2009 10:38:00 PM
Thank you Dave
Your article hits it on the head. These are the premises for sane politics.
I really have to say not much more, except maybe mention the Israel Lobby, that in one form or the other, seems to exist everywhere in the western world defending or covering up crimes against humanity committed by the Israeli Government almost everywhere.
This was posted by maracas1 YESTERDAY:

"Liberal supporter of Zionism cannot be aware of the Zionism of today but can get an insight from the treatment of Human Rights Activist Ezra Nawi featured in this rare video of Israeli Occupation Forces in action. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysIaQUJWBdk>
There are many more video clips to be found on UTube if you really want to know what's going on in Israel."

Maracas1: If you have made a mistake with the link, please post the correct one, I would love to see it. LOL.

To the morons who have managed to remove the content:
I hope that everybody who could not find it, will start some serious research themselves. As I will. (Search U tube)
Posted by Joaquin, Friday, 15 May 2009 12:24:24 AM
Mac,

That's your opinion, and I totally disagree with it. You should express your AGREEMENT to Smith, not your DISAGREEMENT to me personally. I don't care whether you agree with me or not.

Smith obviously feels a little guilty about his anti-Semitism because he "...had a feeling that somebody would accuse me of being anti-Semitic for writing the article."

Now he's off to have a beer with some imaginary Jewish friends. I hope he doesn't have too many, with his penchant for fighting.
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 15 May 2009 10:53:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy