The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cheerleading for an uncompassionate Australia > Comments

Cheerleading for an uncompassionate Australia : Comments

By David Silkoff, published 28/4/2009

The fact that a newspaper with the highest circulation in Australia is such an unapologetic campaigner for social exclusion is concerning.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Tucked away at the bottom of the National section of the Herald-Sun online was this little snippet. Seems to indicate that the majority (two thirds) of of Australians don't agree that Rudd has "gone soft" on asylum seekers.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25401621-662,00.html

"Just 34 per cent said they would be more comfortable with Malcolm Turnbull and the Opposition in charge of immigration policy."

"...a third said Mr Turnbull was right to say Labor had gone "soft" on asylum seekers. "

Somewhat dents the claim of the rabid "send them back to where they came from" camp on OLO that they represent the majority.
Posted by Butters, Wednesday, 29 April 2009 11:49:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh, Shadow Minister
You have made this over thrashed thread into a personal attack. Leigh was the one who went into egregious superlatives. I merely pointed out the obvious.
The Key point was that the paper was biased (Period).

Own legal system? Are you suggesting we should ignore our obligations under international treaty?Like I said legal obligations. Have you any idea what would happen if we closed the doors? We depend on world good will to trade etc. Think about if we become a pariah what would happen.

My point was clear none of us that aren't in the position to know the status of somebody on a boat until we investigate.
Also note: that Howard's 86% 'Pacific solution' detainees were given refugee status.
Sure there are some who don't qualify but until their tested how do you know which?
And: It isn't illegal to seek asylum under Australian Law.

If my memory is correct the treaty came about to stop the 'ship of shame' happening again. Oh yes by the way many of those Jews were wealthy. Wasn't denying them access Immoral(in defensible)if it was why did the international covenent on refugees get written and why did we sign it?
Just for curiosity how many Jews died because nobody would accept them? I seem to remember reading about thewide spread discrimination of the Jews in The US before WW2. Are we now bleeding hearts for allowing Israel to exist?

BTW: as was pointed out on that show I mentioned many of these people don't have Queues to 'jump'.

I did not call anyone intellectually challenged!
I said Intellectually illiterate. A clear difference look up the word. I wish people would read what I say and in context instead of making misguided inaccurate (yes odious)assumptions.

Further more: I am not in favour of open door But I am against badly thought through policy based on 'god knows what'emotional phobias.
One wonders then if it's just POOR asylum seekers fleeing from ASIAN terror regimes that bother you? That's the only question left.
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 29 April 2009 11:53:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"........., there are more left wing rags around to cater for>>>>the intellectually challenged<<<< and>>>easily led<<<." (28/4-Leech)

".....When all else fails them, they go for the personal insult, suggesting that we are “illiterate”, “ignorant” or any new insult that happens to be fashionable for a short time." (29/4-Leech)

You don arf make I larf Leech!
Posted by Ginx, Wednesday, 29 April 2009 1:43:21 PM
Rapscallion, with regards your personal attack.

There are 100s of millions of people desperate to migrate from places of tyranny and desperate circumstances. Are they all worthy of our protection, I have no doubt that most of them would qualify.

If anyone has any doubt as to how many asylum seekers would come if immigration were relaxed needs only to look at the situation in South Africa where there is no free medical care or social security, only a chance of a better life. The influx of 10 to 12 million illegal immigrants with little education or skills has put the economy and security of SA in a terrible situation.

10m illegals would devastate this country and with 400m just a short boat ride away, this is not an impossible scenario. The efficiency of the naval interceptors and the relative low success rate (about 12% from what I read) is the major deterrent.

The aprox 200 000 legal refugees from the past 20 years cost the country about $2b p.a. (social security on 50%) or about $200 per tax payer p.a. to support.

While I am happy to do this and support the few worthy souls that have been accepted, I am not happy to double, triple or quadruple this, and according to the polls, neither are the majority of Austalia.

So Rapscallion, I ask you not to presume to know my feelings, and on behalf of the vast majority of Australians I urge you to shelve your sanctimonious, holier than thou attitude and let the light of reality shine into the dark recesses of your mind.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 29 April 2009 3:35:39 PM
"So Rapscallion, I ask you not to presume to know my feelings, and on behalf of the vast majority of Australians I urge you to shelve your sanctimonious, holier than thou attitude and let the light of reality shine into the dark recesses of your mind.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 29 April 2009 3:35:39 PM"

By gee Rapscallion!! Quake in yer boots!

This is 'on behalf of the vast majority of Australians' no less. Take note about those dark recesses, after all it IS coming from a Shadow Minister.

(I reckon it's the lack of vitamin D...).

They have a Minister for everything nowadays, don't they?
Posted by Ginx, Wednesday, 29 April 2009 3:50:58 PM
Examinator,
Well argued!
Posted by Psychophant, Wednesday, 29 April 2009 8:23:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy