The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Vietnam nightmare ends with newsman’s death > Comments

Vietnam nightmare ends with newsman’s death : Comments

By Sasha Uzunov, published 24/4/2009

This Anzac Day we need to remember all the Australians who served, suffered or died fighting in the Vietnam War.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Thanks, ST Ustinov,

So, we can be less sure of the book "The Odd Angry Shot" as an authoritative source of what occurred in Vietnam than before.

Nevertheless, it still seems to me from my own conversation with that one veteran that the callous attitudes expressed in that book were shared by quite a few Australian soldiers over there.

---

I think any evaluation of the war has to include prominently the effects of the war on the Vietnamese themselves.

If around 500 Australian deaths is considered a tragedy for this country, then how much more so would be the death and destruction inflicted by Australians on Vietnam?

I don't have "A Soldier Returns" on me, but a very confronting part is where Terry Burstall meets a woman who lost all three of her sons in the war, probably killed by Australians.

She demanded to know of Terry Burstall what right did a country that she had never heard of have to come here and take away from her her three sons.

Of course, Terry Burstall could not answer that question.

If the US had not imposed the corrupt unelected Southern regime and allowed free elections to occur throughout Vietnam as well as Cambodia and Laos, she would not have lost her sons, and we would not be mourning the loss of 500 lives and the US would not be mourning the loss of nearly 60,000 lives and Vietnam would not be mourning the loss of between 2 milion and 5 million lives depending on which figure we accept.
Posted by daggett, Sunday, 26 April 2009 10:42:20 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All I have read so far is second and third hand stories NO FACTS
Posted by old_digger, Sunday, 26 April 2009 11:18:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy