The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Religious freedom: what’s all the fuss? > Comments

Religious freedom: what’s all the fuss? : Comments

By Tom Calma, published 16/4/2009

Resistance to research into religious freedom has been a surprising response to the Australian Human Rights Commission’s Discussion Paper.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Phanto:"They must think headgear impinges on the rights of others in some way or else they would not have a law against it. "

Erm...no. The ban on wearing headgear indoors derives from a show of deference to the Queen. Most clubs used to have a picture of the Monarch hanging somewhere prominent and it was considered impolite not to doff your cap in the (symbolic) presence. Even in the (real) presence, however, those whose religion mandates a head covering are exempt from removing it, so the club members that decided to fight this one were simply dumb.

What made you think there would be a rational reason?
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 22 April 2009 6:59:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*PtheB*

But at least some of the schedules are limited aren't they, say those that only apply to the extent that they are not inconsistent with immigration and social security law.

Yes I noted that the fraser guvment appeared also to be involved in the matter of the formulation of the australia act. ThankU for your informed views.

Curiously, I spoke to frank brennan many years ago and he expressed the view that the australia act was entirely constitutional.

My limited understanding was that the pommy parliament created the australia act to trump the constitution which was then enacted into australian law.

As stated on earlier occasions, it then makes the relevant provisions within the constitution governing its change irrelevant at that point in time, and if the constitution could always be over trumped, then the australian constitution is no constitution at all, but just part of the make it up as you go tradition of that place east of Ireland, south of Scotland and over the sea from Bretonny. ;-)

What a shame that wretched goat blair fell from grace, though I am of the view that seeing Lizzy hand back the Scottish Crown was most excellent.

Terror Nullius -> Mabo -> Treaty -> Republic (or something new)
Posted by DreamOn, Wednesday, 22 April 2009 11:23:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy