The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > OLO: here's to the next ten years > Comments

OLO: here's to the next ten years : Comments

By Graham Young, published 6/4/2009

Judging on OLO's past, the future won't happen as fast as we think it will

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Happy OLO Anniversay Graham and Susan

In the 4 years I've been commenting on OLO and writing the occasional article, I've noticed that readers are now much more well disposed to discussion of national security issues (security AND defence). Their views are more sophisticated and tolerant.

Even when people rubbish my views I respect them if they argue their side well and keep on topic.

OLO provides an invaluable and instant communications service to expose and sometimes anticipate how Government's abuse the public and in doing so abuse security/defence employee's. This has occurred through such episodes as:

- invasion of Iraq/WMDs
- immigration concentration camps
- Tampa
- Children Overboard
- Haneef and
- Fitzgibbon's Silk/Smokescreen.

Any mention of ASIO or Federal Police four years ago used to bring on accusations of sundry shirtlifting - an opportunity for tired uni slogans about fascist gumshoes.

But the arrests that resulted from Operation Pendennis http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2005/s1500743.htm in November 2005 persuaded many people that there was some need for security. See also http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24350617-28737,00.html .

Howard probably then went overboard amplifying balanced threat assessments for his own political advantage.

The Haneef Affair in 2007 certainly exposed Howard's scare/electoral tactics.

Both sides of politics will continue to criticise, use and abuse security and intelligence bodies for cynical politicals ends.

It is up to OLO to keep the politicians honest, to walk where the mainstream media fears to tread, while critically monitoring the activities of security and defence bodies.

Regards

Peter Coates
http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/author.asp?id=4452
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 6 April 2009 3:06:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Graham and crew,

Ten years eh? It seems like just yesterday. The diversity in contribution over the years is awesome.

Many many magazines over similar time spans simply become to be seen as more of 'the same old stuff'. That is something that cannot be said of OLO.

Well done and congratulations.

Thankyou for the privilege of participation.
Posted by keith, Monday, 6 April 2009 4:12:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...... Continued,

That said Graham, congratulations on the 10 Years of OLO and your team's effort in keeping it going .

It's ease of access is good , the subjects and writers interesting ,while the often opposing positions expressed, liven our thought processes up as they make us question our own argument.
Posted by kartiya jim, Monday, 6 April 2009 4:48:48 PM
Congratulations and thanks to Graham and Susan for your initiative in starting OLO and your continuing efforts to make it the interesting forum that it is.

Graham, as a member of GetUp! I think your confidence in this organisation is misplaced.

I have lost no opportunity to suggest to GetUp! that it should lobby for an enquiry into the loss of SIEVX.

Nothing has ever happened. I've never even had a response to my messages.
Posted by Seneca, Monday, 6 April 2009 5:09:16 PM
10 years!!??

As a relative newcomer may I offer my heartiest congratulations and most profound thanks to Graham et al
Posted by Antiseptic, Monday, 6 April 2009 7:50:51 PM
Yes, I'll add my Birthday congratulations to Graham, Susan and their team. I think that OLO is the most interesting Australian forum, and I think that this is largely a product of the approach that Graham describes:

<< We wanted a journal where anyone, no matter what their philosophy, could publish, believing that robust debate is the best way of dealing with wrong beliefs. >>

That's why I participate here far more than any other blog or forum - nowhere else does there seem to be such a range of opinions, beliefs, knowledge and experience. Of course this produces debates that range from the robust and intelligent to the boofheaded and ignorant, but I also think that Graham's editorial style and practice are pretty finely attuned to his readership. While I've occasionally fallen foul of his standards and we're obviously poles apart politically, I truly respect Graham's approach to debate and commentary, which is as fair as I've seen.

Yes, here's to the next ten years. I'm not sure that anything much is achieved here, but I certainly enjoy the exposure to a wide range of articles and discussions about them, by and with whom people I wouldn't otherwise encounter. I'm not all that optimistic about "e-Democracy", but I've always thought that any communication is preferable to none at all.

Cheers, to the OLO crew and everybody that publishes, comments and lurks here :)
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 6 April 2009 8:09:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy