The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The trouble with liberalism > Comments

The trouble with liberalism : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 30/3/2009

Liberalism is not so much an ideology but the vacuum left after the implosion of Christianity.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 31
  7. 32
  8. 33
  9. Page 34
  10. All
david f,

I think individualism, when manifest with self-actualisation, can co-habit with horizontal altruism. Eleanor Roosevelt being a case in point.
Posted by Oliver, Thursday, 23 April 2009 12:07:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yeah, I'm learning nothing of use or interest here, I think we'll leave it at that relda.

Ontologically, I as an individual, can be said not to exist, so don't bother replying. I probably won't be here, ontologically.

Of course, subjectively, meaning in this thread, ontologically can be said not to exist. That's a tortured sentence I can probably agree with.
Posted by Bugsy, Thursday, 23 April 2009 4:44:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bugsy,

I suspect the main sources of relda’s research measuring individualism are the HERMES studies (1968 & 1972) by Geert Hofstede.

The studies were empirical, involving 117,000 questionnaires across 39 countries, evaluating Power Distance, Uncertainty Avoidance, Individualism and Masculinity. The studies are widely cited in the literature and do rate a mention in several business studies and behavioural sciences university courses.

A problem with the studies is some academics have taken the ball and run with it, beyond the Hofstede’s original purpose. These were Human Resource Management studies conducted inside IBM. Even Hofstede (2002?), recognized the overgeneralisation.

Returning to the first paragraph, individualism was quantified.
Posted by Oliver, Friday, 24 April 2009 11:07:11 AM
Sells makes this amazing claim

"The Trinity is the single concept that functions as an interpretive framework for the whole of Christian theology, without it we have paganism."

Jesus makes this amazing claim

John 14:28 "...because I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I".

and this

John 14:6 "No one comes to the Father but by me"

and this

Matthew 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

If Sell's theory is correct, does this make Jesus a pagan, as he didn't seem to believe in the trinity either?
Posted by Opinionated2, Wednesday, 6 May 2009 9:28:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 31
  7. 32
  8. 33
  9. Page 34
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy