The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The new nightlife: ‘less like Paris, more like the Somme’ > Comments

The new nightlife: ‘less like Paris, more like the Somme’ : Comments

By Richard Eckersley and Lynne Reeder, published 20/3/2009

The problem of worsening violence in public places is an international phenomenon and there are no quick fixes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
"Racial Tension In A 'Split Second'

Can brief hesitations in conversation (often associated with anxiety) actually cause interracial tension? ... a mere one second delay in conversation was sufficient to raise anxiety in intergroup but not intragroup interactions"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081217124146.htm

"Researchers have found some people automatically produce stress hormones when they see someone of a different race."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97313840

That explains why so many assaults are reported to be random, or over a dirty look or a bad word. Former Victorian Police Commissioner Bob Falconer:

"It is indisputable that ethnicity is coming into aspects of crime. Most of these gangs have openly ethnic names - and they are self-labelled."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24586532-2862,00.html

Diversity is falling apart. Your future safety unfortunately lies with tribalism:

"Pick a Tribe, Any Tribe

... certain types of situations impose such severe psychological pressure on those who would confront them that they cannot consistently or usefully do so without a type and degree of psychological reinforcement that can only be provided by a tribe".

http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/2009/02/pick-tribe-any-tribe.html

Diversity breeds increasingly autonomous ethnic groups which the state progressively loses control over. Pick a tribe...
Posted by online_east, Sunday, 22 March 2009 6:44:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ahem. Seems America managed to become the most powerful nation by accepting immigrants from all over the world. The difference was that they managed to forge them into a national consciousness, something which isn't really done as much any more.

Plus, all these anti-multiculture scenarios tend to be inflated beyond ridiculousness. Australia isn't coming apart at the seams as you'd have us believe. Get a grip.

The issue comes down to alcohol, not ephemeral cultural issues.

My solution would be an hour each evening on the ABC, where offenders are publically shamed for the stupid drunk things they've done. Police can be equipped with small cameras, COPS style and bars can also submit footage of unruly patrons.
Embarrass the hell out of them. Sure, some will take it as a badge of honour, but with the amount of stupidity that goes on out there, I'm sure there would be plenty of instances of just plain embarrassment.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Sunday, 22 March 2009 7:29:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Has it ever occured to you that overpopulation has a significant role in this sort of behaviour?'

Please visit Singapore and stop throwing out idiotic suggestions. Has it ever occurred to anyone that it is mainly those who have never had a smack in their life that are the most violent. The selfish me generation that Secular Humanism has championed are now baffling the experts. The dysfunctional families that humanism has championed and promoted as an end to discrimination now causes terror on the streets. What a surprise.
Posted by runner, Monday, 23 March 2009 11:08:03 PM
That particular generation runner, also happens to be more aware of technology than any generation that preceded it.
They're also more aware of current events, more cynical of embedded power structures that dictate moral codes that are often hypocritical and immoral (i.e yours) and well attuned to spin and the bullsh!t that passes for moralizing.

Simply put, they display better abilities at assessing points of view, and the positives and negatives of the world, than your narrow judgement can accept.

Even more simply put? They're better at judging the world than you are. Frankly, you're awful at it. Many posters here instinctively recoil from your hatred.

runner, you're becoming famed for assaulting other views of life as immoral.

It is you who many consider immoral for casting such harsh judgement on those who try to understand and accept people with different views.

Something you're just not good at. For every judgement anti-abortion post you make, you alienate people who attempt to understand the horrific circumstances such people find themselves in. You however, never show the slightest glimmer of understanding that people choose different ways to solve their problems.

runner, it's not because you take a pro-life or Christian stance that I find your posts so noxious. It's the judgemental attitude.

"The selfish me generation that Secular Humanism has championed "

Not selfish at all.

Just sick of selfish ar*ehole comments such as yours above. For the benefit of the censors, I'm not calling you an ar*ehole for making such a sweeping, denigrating comment on a decent group of people.

I'm calling it the kind of comment that would come from an ar*ehole with no experience of the contemporary world, who prefers to sit back and judge.

I know many people in the aforementioned generation. They're not at all selfish. It's comments like yours that are selfish.

Thankfully, the next generation is showing much better wisdom than you do. I thank your god they're more understanding and sensitive. So I have hope for the future. If they were like you, I would be fearful.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Tuesday, 24 March 2009 2:09:57 AM
In hindsight, that comment was an overreaction. Probably a sign it's time to take a break from OLO for a few weeks. I guess there's only so much repetitive small-mindedness I can take.

runner, I suggest you spend some time with the secular people you scorn, before your ability to understand different people atrophies completely.
You'll find they're not the valueless savages whom you describe, and are a damn sight better than you at understanding and accepting different people, despite the fact that they don't have a god standing over them wielding a stick.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Tuesday, 24 March 2009 9:51:16 AM
Completely understandable, TRTL. I've noticed that runner's comments have become increasingly abusive and nonsensical of late, so I tend to just ignore him completely.

runner: << Has it ever occurred to anyone that it is mainly those who have never had a smack in their life that are the most violent. >>

As a great fan of beating children, runner often makes such claims but never provides any evidence. Fortunately, I expect that most people who read his rubbish do what I do and reject it as just so much bulldust.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 24 March 2009 10:15:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy