The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The ultimate irony - George Bush slashes worldwide carbon emissions > Comments

The ultimate irony - George Bush slashes worldwide carbon emissions : Comments

By Kim Hudson, published 19/3/2009

It’s time we acknowledged that we are completely on the wrong track in tackling global warming.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Well firstly there are many Greens who do not support ETS or Carbon Trading in its current form. The Greens cannot be blamed for the government's approach to climate change particularly when it does not address the root cause.

Following on from Leigh's point, we have become too greedy and wasteful and unlike our grandparents, take energy for granted. Consumption and population issues should be included in the discussion.

Allowing polluters to continue to pollute by shuffling carbon credits around only looks good on paper but does little to reduce greenhouse emissions.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 20 March 2009 7:46:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"All of the crap about plastic bags and light globes is just another government ruse which makes them seem to be doing something. All it does is inconvenience the population for absolutely no gain, while the government continues to bring in more immigrants to tell the same rubbish they are telling us."

I agree with this comment. It is the equivalent of white settlers first coming to the site of future Melbourne and buying the land from the Aboriginals for a few tins of bully beef. Keep the natives happy in the cheapest way possible in the short term and then capitalise on the situation when no one's looking.
Posted by RobP, Friday, 20 March 2009 8:46:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
plerdus

<<The population problem can be solved quite quickly. Nature has a method which involves four horsemen. >>

Well yes, in geological time you are quite right, but not in the 3-score-and-10.

I am not the religious type but doesn't the four horsemen of the apocalypse represent pestilence, war, famine and death – in that order?

What do you think of the following analogy?

1. Pestilence (plague/disease): already we are experiencing increased problems and incidences of vector borne diseases due to climate change (dengue, malaria, Ross River, Barmah, etc) – they are spreading.

2. War: The IPCC got the Nobel Peace prize because climate change threatens world peace. Increased pressures on food and water resources, energy supplies, and some countries borders (due to rising sea levels and extreme weather events) have already put some country’s military establishments on high alert, not to mention the UN’s Security Council.

3. Famine: While some regions will be better off (in the short term) due to global warming, most will not (our own ‘food bowl’ is at risk). In the longer term, all countries are likely to experience food shortages, particularly with the world’s population to hit 9 billion in 40 years.

4. Death: Humanity has been on this planet for a blip in time. We have had the most impact on the environment and ecological biodiversity than any other species – and we are supposed to be smart, intelligent? At the rate we are going, we won’t just be responsible for our own death, but the death and extinction of so many other species – both animals and plants.

So, I don’t think Nature (in your context) is the most important thing at play here – it is humanity.

If there is an omnipresent almighty ‘Mr X’ out there, s/he/it didn’t put us here to not use our brain. If we have in the slightest caused this current episode of global warming, I would understand why s/he/it would expect us (humanity) to curb our excessive ways ... otherwise, ‘death’ (in the larger sense) is inevitable, and the prophecy will be fulfilled.
Posted by Q&A, Friday, 20 March 2009 7:28:26 PM
Gee after reading all that , what to do , given that everybody in exec positions are BS Artists and anti irresponsible Unions dudes like me are are now totally disenfranchised ................? My attitude needs a tsunarmi shift ....I think I'll just 'no worries' and when the time comes stick me head between my legs and kiss my freckle goodbye
Posted by ShazBaz001, Sunday, 22 March 2009 11:10:33 PM
Excellent piece. We have used an incredible amount of ingenuity to get to this point. We can either use the same creative skills to develop a way of living that does not assume that there are infinite resources available to us for our consumption or passively wait for the four horsemen of the apocalypse to finish us off. If the earth is unlucky then we may find that a small number of breeding pairs will survive to start the whole crazy cycle again. Of course if our communities apply their imagination we can build an even better life. For some ideas look here: http://groups.google.com.au/group/transition-initiatives-sa
Posted by BAYGON, Monday, 23 March 2009 1:26:37 PM
Yea yea we are over populated even know here in Australia we live longer, have more toys, better food, better houses, more comforts then ever before and waste more Government money than any time in history. Let's keep it all for ourselves and whine on about being victims. Zimbawe has proven to have the capacity to feed Africa but its a lot easier to blame climate change and over population instead of facing the real truth. South Africa prospered financially years ago but now is a basket case due to corruption but let's just say its over population. Those 'evil tykes' who want to ban the condoms are the problem. This over population mantra just like climate change is nothing but an excuse to not address real issues. I am sure some pre computer model told us we were over populated before Europeans arrived in Australia. Stop stressing folks our great Southland of the Holy Spirit (Australia) still has plenty of crumbs to share with others.
Posted by runner, Monday, 23 March 2009 2:07:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy