The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The population problem > Comments

The population problem : Comments

By Michael Lardelli, published 6/3/2009

Population growth needs to be recognised as the key driver of our environmental difficulties.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
Interesting how the antediluvian set is so keen to bring on another Godly flood, yet are so loudly vociferous in trying to stop the building of boats as a precautionary measure; unwilling to countenance the potential wrath, the savagery, of that supreme entity; in denial of the evidence all around them which is so conclusively documented and published, in material they refuse to acknowledge, since Charles Darwin’s day.
Posted by colinsett, Saturday, 7 March 2009 9:27:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OK , so were 20 years on , we chopped immigration in 07 .
It was a toss up , Baby or Muscle Car , chopped the baby ...climate change you see .
Allah and his mob didn't get the idea , everybodies had 7 kids .
Japan , wot's a Summeri going to do with all that spare unemployed time he's had 7 kids too !
Russia , wot do you do in Russia to make a quid , same as a girl does in Las Vegas thats wot...so their'v all had 7 kids too

So here is OZ everybodies middle aged , we have saved our great southern land . Everybodies starving in the northern hemisphere .

Oui "Kevvie the Great" ! Stop tending your Turnips , big problem look at all these here Google Earth Pikies , immigrents billions of them , Vasco de Garmahs to perth in canooes , Nahroo's on reed arks , Coolies on lylows , Mik's in coricals , "I'ts a terrible invasion , It's a terrible invasion I mean it's a Terrible invasion Kevvie it's a terrible invasion , bloody'oward 12 wasted years , what are we gunnah do oh mighty Mystagogue ? Oh Viva Voce calm down ! Leave the Big Picture to Kevvie , summon Louminous Lout........Louminous Lout do a foward prediction estimate , look at these here pikkies , need to know is ; number of Number of Nahroo's to handbags , we'll sell to the Nahroo's and go live in Tassie good cheese and yogert and naturily cool , buggerall carbon.............no pubes cobber
Posted by ShazBaz001, Saturday, 7 March 2009 9:31:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mao and Stalin as populationists? I rest my case.
Posted by Cheryl, Saturday, 7 March 2009 9:35:23 AM
*If we are going to reduce population why not start by killing a few more animals. *

That is the problem Runner, the world that you envisage. We've
been doing the above for ages and will continue to, but without
biodiversity, you won't have a humanity. That is basic biology.

I am no card carrying greenie, for I feel they are a feelgood party.
But I do take note of basic biology and if its not sustainable,
eventually the whole thing will collapse and nature will sort it out.

So my answer for years has been that every woman on the planet should
be able to choose how many children she has and family planning
should be available to all. The extra 80 million a year nearly all
originate from countries where women don't have that choice.

Population is a global issue, not an Australian one. It needs
global answers and politicians with some guts to address it.
They are certainly not to be found in Australia. We won't even
help women with family planning in the thrid world, no thanks to Harradine.

So as we speak Runner, the last of the wild chimps, bonobos,
orang-utans, gorillas, tigers and many other species, are being wiped out,
eaten, shot, to make way for more humans.

I'm certainly glad that I won't have to see the planet that
you seemingly are quite happy to leave to your great grandkids.

Let em live in the concrete jungle heh. We can always show them
pictures of those magnificent species that used to exist
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 7 March 2009 12:27:18 PM
I'm with Yabby here. Humans will pay a vast penalty with many casualites should biodiversity be threatened to a dangerous degree.

The scariest part is that there are a number of people that really think we can just keep on populating without any effect on our natural evironment. The irony is that once resources become scarce - water, land, plant material for various uses and our technology can no longer keep up with demand, then we really will see a detrimental flow on effect for human beings. Probably in the form of global, localised and civil wars over scarce resouces (those that are not polluted).

The best way to reduce populations is not to make it advantageous to produce large families (no baby bonuses, maternity leave) and ensure a broad social support network that provides for people in old age. Societies that depend purely on family support in old age are usually the poorest with the highest infant mortality rate (so lots more babies produced as insurance) - they more than any need a different social support structure.

Also stop immigration in all but exceptional circumstances.

Live more simply without the idolatry of material possessions in a system that is not dependent on comsumption and expansion.

Population control can be achieved by means other than enforced family sizes. China's one-child policy was abhorrent particularly because it was enforced within a culture where boy babies were essential to the survival of the family.
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 7 March 2009 1:16:21 PM
Planet Earth is finite, there is a limit to the number of people that the planet can support, just as there is a limit to the amount of junk we can put into the biosphere before we begin to make the planet unhabitable.

Australians are among the worst polluters on the planet, we should not encourage others to live like we do. We must reduce our demands on the planet, the only way we are going to survive is if we learn to live sustainable lifestyles. We need to reduce our footprint on the planet, increased population and continued economic growth will destroy us, if we do not learn to control our greed.
Posted by John Pratt, Saturday, 7 March 2009 1:51:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All