The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Selective compassion > Comments

Selective compassion : Comments

By Greg Barns, published 27/2/2009

We show compassion for bushfire victims but what about some charity for refugees?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Apologies! Pressed the wrong button. Grrhh!

That last paragraph should have read:

I would never argue as crassly as you did though that a causal relationship exists between high fertility rates and the tragic plight of asylum seekers. Yes, high population rates and high numbers of refugees can often overlap, but it's war and persecution which causes people to flee their homelands, not over population.
Posted by Bronwyn, Saturday, 28 February 2009 10:47:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bronwyn- You state that it is war and persecution which causes people to flee their homeland not overpopulation
If you examine these wars and persecutions closely you will see that they are tribal(they are about driving other blood lines from land and resources and taking control of territory. The war in Gaza is a tribal territorial war too. Keep in mind that religions in countries who don’t intermarry become tribes by keeping their bloodline strictly within the religious group.
Knowing that all the refugees we see in camps around the world are there because of tribal territorial aggression should we not be proceeding with extreme caution in allowing refugees in and moving the problem here in generations to come.
I don’t want my childrens’ children growing up in a country plagued by constant attacks by other tribes’ freedom fighters wanting a separate state.
Posted by sharkfin, Sunday, 1 March 2009 12:16:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What sort of person pack's his family into a leaky boat and departs his country for Oz . One can only speculate that his attitude was crafted from a "Do or Die" situation in his home country .
A European person is different he has only a border to cross , his escape is devoid of powerful currents , hurricane force winds , Tropical rain , sharks . He can check out his destination first then go back for his family too easy !

I think our Asians are fantastic people .

The way they mix with Aussies is amazing if you compare them to our earlier sponsored migrants .
What John Howard did was a response to Islamic Terrorism .
We have no right to Deny any of these people compassion .

What do these people have in common with Bushfire Victims ?
Are there different types of compassion ?
Were the people in the fire area ignorant of the danger ?
Did they do anything to mitigate the danger risk ?
Did the fire authorities warn them of the danger of living in the area .
Would you attempt to live in a cellar in a flood plain ?
I would expect the people in the area to be fairly well educated having seen the realestate values .
I feel incredibly sorry for the victims , compassion for the people who tried to save them , Firefighters and Police . I will develop some compassion for the people left providing they show some compassion for the Fire Fighters and positively act responsibly and set in place regular hazard reduction practices as recommended by 5 Royal Commissions since 1925.
Posted by ShazBaz001, Sunday, 1 March 2009 8:35:09 AM
ShazBaz001, - : We have no right to deny any of these people compassion

WE do when they bypass lots of Asian countries along the way , and deliberately target Australia. If they can afford to be so choosy about where they go how genuinely desperate are they?
Personally I thought as soon as I heard about those fires in Victoria that there may be some racist element in it. I thought it could have been a terrorist attack because I have never in my whole life, before all these mixed races came here seen this kind of attack against an actual town full of people.

I know we don’t know the story behind this yet but when I saw the perpetrator’s name Solkurk (not sure of the spelling) I still wonder if there was some king of racial hatred behind it. Another reason not to encourage different races to come here and it’s a big one, self preservation.
Posted by sharkfin, Monday, 2 March 2009 10:16:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy