The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > After the Apology: still keeping our distance > Comments

After the Apology: still keeping our distance : Comments

By Maggie Walter, published 26/2/2009

Australians know too few Aborigines and too little about them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All
(Cont..)

Sometimes we can blind ourselves to seeing only our side, I've seen that God doesn't just do things...He does them and then some...and He has a GREAT sense of humour! Try doing it His way and see the results...and then have a laugh at yourself as well...because you'll stand in wonder and ask yourself why you've wasted time doing it any other way...

Yes Billya, God does know...and I think you can see that too...take a leap of faith and leave the hard stuff to Him...concentrate on what YOU can do to make things better for those around YOU by doing things with and for them too!

In the words of Martin Luther King...'the world bends towards justice'...eventually it does, it's also called good triumphing over evil! God's children turning back to Him...and His way!
Posted by Meg1, Sunday, 5 April 2009 12:59:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Meg1 - again

You don’t surprise me with your comments, I only wish to state you don’t understand what I am trying to say but ok, you think you can relate - so I will leave it at that. If indigenous people had more representation on many levels of government we will not have these problems today and it’s quite simple to say it’s because they can relate to Aboriginal people more effectively. I know many Aboriginal people who would love to represent the indigenous people of this country and for those who don’t, it doesn’t matter, they can always be replaced.
Posted by Billya, Monday, 6 April 2009 11:09:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am sorry Billya,
but a choice is a concious decision so you know not only God.
Posted by Richie 10, Monday, 6 April 2009 11:54:08 AM
If cows made cheese Billya, we wouldn't need factories to make it...but we wouldn't have milk either. There's always two sides and we can see each as a problem, or possibility...'milk' gives us more possibilities, but needs work to make the possibilties into realities and has to be handled carefully or it will spoil. That same principal goes for most things...the more effort and care, the greater results!
If all politicians were black, I wonder if things'd be much different? Look at Zimbabwe...I won't emphasise the point further but some apalling atrocities against black people have been by blacks themselves. Would that mean whites are treated better or worse? What are we solving, do we simply 'change' the 'victim group'?
My neighbour's son tells me of his great difficulties, remaining in contact with his family and friends back 'home', as they keep urging him to use the substances they regularly abuse. He's found the 'whites' he works with and for, have proven to be a better influence on him than any he's had before. He's happy, working and providing himself with a future he's proud of...without black politicians telling him how it's done.
Locally, a group of black women have begun mentoring other black families and women to turn their lives around and kick the substances they are abusing...they've been met with abuse and ridicule, that they're trying to 'make blacks, white', etc. Since when is it a culturally 'black thing' for substance abuse to be regarded as ok and acceptable amongst blacks? ...yet, amongst my son's friends, there's not one who's black that doesn't abuse substances regularly...there are also some 'whites' who do, of course but the sheer numbers speak loudest...

I see many people, displayed on media, who'd like to represent various electorates (every few years they line up again)...few succeed in being elected to those positions, that's life...for all of them...not just aspiring black politicians. A leader or aspiring politician needs to have more than the colour of his/her skin as their arsenal of attributes...what about their abilities? Don't they count?
Posted by Meg1, Tuesday, 7 April 2009 12:19:48 PM
What do you think, they do count. Quite a lot of Aboriginal people are highly educated and able to do a job, particularly in politics, why doubt them? The problem with people like you is you find it difficult to trust them, and what do you expect when you have he media portray them a certain way or be educated to think the way you do.
Posted by Billya, Tuesday, 7 April 2009 12:38:14 PM
'few succeed in being elected to those positions, that's life...for all of them...not just aspiring black politicians. A leader or aspiring politician needs to have more than the colour of his/her skin as their arsenal of attributes...what about their abilities? Don't they count?'

I'm pleased you think their abilities count, Bb but why would you assume that I doubt them? You are the one listing the colour of their skin as their main or only attribute that will ensure how they will behave towards other blacks...I challenged that theory based on reality and asked if it was important to vote politicians in based on their abilities rather than their skin colour...if they are green with pink spots and a tail, but are a multi-talented and compassionate person with the ability to do the job...he/she would get my vote, how about you?

'The problem with people like you is you find it difficult to trust them, and what do you expect when you have he media portray them a certain way or be educated to think the way you do'

Do you think 'people like you' sounds a teensy bit racist...do you mean 'white-red-yellow' people like me...I'm confused how it's ok for you to want to segregate 'black' issues, but if I made a 'people like you' comment, I'd be regarded as the worst type of racist...wouldn't I?

The reason that 'people like me' (black or white), 'find it diffiult to trust them', is usually based on cold, hard facts...like my life experiences...not the media, not really. There are only so many rock throwing incidents or damage to property or hearing the language and abuse next door...that one is subjected to, before it makes one hold back and become nervous of venturing forth again. That goes for whoever is the cause of the violence...

Faith and the knowledge that everyone has good inside, makes me try again...because I trust in God, who says...try again?

...good people I've known (black-and-white) show me I'm not alone in believing in the good in others...and trusting those who I've reason to trust, black and white...
Posted by Meg1, Tuesday, 7 April 2009 1:45:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy