The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The children's voices > Comments

The children's voices : Comments

By Barbara Biggs, published 24/2/2009

How many more children need to die before the Federal Government acts to protect kids?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. All
Hey mog, that sounds like 'Men who abuse are bad and need punishment, but women who neglect need help'.
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 20 March 2009 9:39:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Houellebecq,

Please stop "attacking" and "abusing" mog.
Posted by LeftBehindFather, Friday, 20 March 2009 10:13:30 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The mother will likely face criminal charges and be punished - apart from living with the fact of a dead child.
The boy could have been kept alive if there had been an effective intervention - and there is no evidence at this point that she intended her son to die.
This is in sharp contrast to the man who shot his partner, the man who stabbed his ex and son and the man who stabbed his partner and two children and himself - these actions were intended to cause death or serious injury. There is emerging evidence that the killer in the most recent event had pleaded for help with his mental illness before the slaughter. It would have been wonderful if somebody had helped him and detained him in a secure facility before he killed. The mental health system is as useless as the child protection system.
Posted by mog, Friday, 20 March 2009 11:33:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Unless SA is quite different to other places in Australia I think Mog is playing gender games with a small set of publicised killings. The stats on fatal assault from reports of child death review teams don't show the same pattern which Mog's post suggests. My impression is that women tend to be identified as the perpetrator more often than men (probably because children spend more time in their care).

I've not been able to locate information on perpetrators from the SA Child Death Review team report however the NSW reports do provide that info. On my copy of Acrobat the page lists as 75 but shows 58 on the page. Some of the commentary has been left off due to the word limit - read it on the link.

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/public-health/health-promotion/injury-prevention/at-risk-groups/cdrt-report.pdf
"
Table 22 presents the causes of death of the 14 children who died as a result of assault.
Table 22 Assault: cause of death by gender and age at death
Age Gender Cause of death Alleged perpetrator
7 weeks female Possible shaken baby – inquiries continuing unknown
3 months male Head injury father
6 months female Suffocation/smothering mother
8 months female Shaken Impact Syndrome mother’s defacto
11 months female Drug overdose (methadone) mother
20 months female Carbon monoxide poisoning mother
3 years female Assault by sharp object 14 year old male
5 years male Multiple injuries (burns, bruises) and bronchiolitis mother
9 years female Strangulation mother
16 years male Assault by gun unknown
16 years male Assault by blunt object unknown
16 years female Assault by blunt object unknown
17 years male Assault by sharp object unknown
17 years male Assault by gun unknown

The assaults of the children aged 16 to 17 years were similar to adult homicides. These were characterised by more violent methods of killing (shooting, stabbing) and the use of weapons. The alleged perpetrator was unknown. In contrast, the younger victims of assault died as a result of smothering, poisoning, head trauma or exposure/abandonment and the alleged perpetrator was usually a family member.

http://www.ccypcg.qld.gov.au/pdf/publications/reports/annual_report_dcyp_2007-2008/All-Deaths-AR-Chpt11.pdf

http://www.aifs.gov.au/nch/pubs/sheets/rs4/rs4.html

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 20 March 2009 11:51:29 AM
R0bert:"I think Mog is playing gender games"

No! Really?

Let's face it, this topic is nothing but a trite rehash of the usual "all men are bastards, all women are victims - oh, yeah and don't you care about the kids" crap that has worked so well for the feminist movement for years, largely because most men aren't bastards, most women aren't saints and we all care about the kids.

What's changed and what the entitlement-junkies like mog and Barbara Biggs and some of the other toxic feminists haven't grasped, is that the men who aren't bastards are getting mighty sick of the constant refrain and have started to ask questions about the rest of the feminist message that has hitherto been accepted with little examination.

Those questions, asked here and elsewhere, increasingly show the message to be bereft of anything more than the "all men are bastards" mantra and that, when challenged, that mantra is all that is available.

In Western societies, there is effectively no discrimination, despite there being differences in outcomes. In some third-world countries, especially those involved in wars, things are very bad for women, which I'm sure that mog and Barbara Biggs are quick to acknowledge. I'll bet they're nowhere near as quick to get up and help do something about that situation for those women. After all, without those women to put into UN statistics which can then be bandied around to "prove" "all men are bastards", they've got very little to back up their claims of entitlement. They can all console themselves with another latte and tell each other what a fine job they're doing "raising consciousness" or some other piece of gobbledegook and get on with sucking at the teat of a system that places their "entitlements" at the top of the priority list.

Hypocrisy is never a good look.
Posted by Antiseptic, Saturday, 21 March 2009 8:08:50 AM
It is hilarious that the'what about me' crusaders accuse me of playing gender games. I selected the deaths on the basis of the last three weeks of murders in SA. Six dead, two children - big game huh.

It is good however to see some engagement with data. That's progress. You note that the majority of child deaths by mothers are in the context of young infants mental illness amd substance abuse. Have a look at the AIC Homicide monitoring program and note that another large group of child deaths is from fathers in the context of domestic violence, separation and post-separation.
Both contexts of child deaths are awful and urgently need system reform.
Now it is over to you guys for another tantrum about how terrible women are and how guys are picked on and how it isn't fair and so on. Off you go.
Posted by mog, Saturday, 21 March 2009 11:19:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy