The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Avoiding austerity - caring for our aged > Comments

Avoiding austerity - caring for our aged : Comments

By Tristan Ewins, published 10/2/2009

As Australia is drawn into the global fiscal crisis the most vulnerable should not be made to pay the price through austerity.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I especially enjoyed one sentence in the article,

"After 40 years - or more - in the workforce, it is reasonable that elderly Australians be free to pursue their passions."

I am now 83 and have no passions that demand any degree of hot pursuit. I would have preferred to be free to follow my passions at a much earlier age.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 10 February 2009 11:36:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Of course the aged will be sheltered from the "financial crisis".

They have massive voting clout.
They can receive full pension regardless of the value of their home/land that they live in.
As long as they're on a pension, they get public dental services, regardless of their asset or money holdings, so they often displace poorer patients who are really impecunious and can't afford treatment.
They get the taxpayer-funded health insurance rebate of 40%, much higher than the rebate for other patients, despite their also being patients who have a very high claim rate upon health funds compared to younger-age patients.
They are give significantly lower rates for insurance on house and car, when others pay more, yet young and healthy people who don't smoke and drink don't get a health insurance discount.

No, somebody else will bear the brunt, such as single unemployed persons, and to a slightly less degree, single disability pensioners. These 2 groups are effectively disenfranchised in this country as the major parties do jack for them, the only parties who have them on their radar for any good reform are the greens.
Posted by Inner-Sydney based transsexual, indigent outcast progeny of merchant family, Tuesday, 10 February 2009 12:07:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If only we could have a policy of solidarity - then it wouldn't be a matter of supporting aged pensioners ahead of the unemployed - or those on Disability Pension. The needy should not allow themslves to be 'wedged' against each other.

There are some elderly Australians who are quite wealthy. But there are also hundreds of thousands who experience acute rental stress - and who cannot afford even a basic quality of life.

You will also find I agree with CPSA re: a targeted supplement for those most in need. But even still there needs be an increase in ALL pensions - including the aged pension. And importantly - many have been thrown into poverty as a consequence of falling interest rates, and the collapse in the share market.

And these people are not wealthy... Even some tens of thousands in savings if not enough for real quality life - once the overly steep means tests come into play. And so many do not even have such in savings as this...

Again - Pensioners should stand together to demand reform in this field... We cannot allow ourselves to be wedged against each other.

TOGETHER we need work towards across the board reform of the pension system.
Posted by Tristan Ewins, Tuesday, 10 February 2009 12:25:42 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
nb: for those who are interested - another article - this time on Aged Care (esp nursing home and hostel care) - should be published at OLO next Tuesday. (will update if this changes)

I write this for those who are interested; who may be reading this; because obviously I want to reach as many people as possible.

Importantly - Aged Care as such - is a different issue to the Aged Pension. (covered in this article) But problems require the attention of policy makers...

sincerely,

Tristan
Posted by Tristan Ewins, Tuesday, 10 February 2009 6:59:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Having worked in this very area, within an ethno specific organisation, I must express my disappointment with how some organisations priotitise paper work over care.

I am further disappointed with how moneys are mis spent, reports are written to "appear" Ok (just as is very common with government schools reporting to the Education department) nad thus with the aged and the disabled missing out.

Seeing poor conditions while senior staff take a planning week end at a coastal winery is not what I regard as proper

Then there is the territoriality issue where organisations refuse to "share" clients with orther organisations.

Please note that I am not attacking one organisation here but many - organisations which place their survival ahead of their clientele and what is best for them

That is why I support unannounced audits/ visits of nursing homes by relevant government inspectors, to ensure that those in need get the respect and the service that they have a right to expect
Posted by Ange, Tuesday, 24 February 2009 11:51:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy