The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Interpreting Genesis > Comments

Interpreting Genesis : Comments

By David Young, published 16/2/2009

An alternative version of Adam and the Woman in the Garden of Eden.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
“My goodness! The book of Genesis has been studied and written about for almost 2000years and the writing still goes on. I wonder at the arrogance of someone who bursts into print with a complete disregard for the scholarship that has preceded.” -Sells
“I also disagree that the bicameral mind has much to do with how we are present to ourselves. People with a section through the corpus callosum do not lose this ability.” - Sells

Dear Peter,

Genesis and other creation stories have been written and re-written far longer than 2,000 years. Here, we must acknowledge that the Bible’s version Genesis is but one of several drafts the work: e.g., the Qumran community held other drafts.

I see nothing improper in David’s interpretation of the myth. Prior to David’s posit, I regarded the Man and Adam , as two stories of the one myth. David’s posit writers may meant a passage of time the creation of Man and the creation of Adam, whom happens to be a special man, seems well argued. Right or wrong, I find David’s insight refreshing.

Not traditional dogma? Well, as Popper once retorted to Jung’s claim of a “one thousand-fold interpretation of an event”, “with this, you do have one thousand-fold plus one interpretation” (or very similar words)? The point is that the Church’s thousand-fold plus one repetition is just as wrong as the first if the first interpretation is incorrect.

After a recovery period, people with lesions to the corpus callosum do recover . Yet, how well they perform depends on how stimuli are presented the visual fields.

…Cont.
Posted by Oliver, Monday, 2 March 2009 8:13:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
..Cont./

Also, the corpus callosum is not merely a traffic cop saying go to right lane or left lane. There is potential for information to flow to both sides of the brain. Inhibitors act to allow “by degree” the amount of stimulation to both hemispheres. Less dominance means more inhibitors. Regarding Learning and Memory situated in the Right Hemisphere, “section of the corpus callosum interferes with short-term memory and lesions of the biogenic amine system interfere with learning and memory”. [ ]

Peter, instead of a cop, think of the corpus callosum as a dam at the mouth of two tributaries, with gates having the ability to direct water to either tributary. The gate-master normally prefers one tributary over the other (i.e., one channel is dominant). Destroy the dam and water will flow to both sides.

Dear David,

Very interesting thoughts.

To the best of my knowledge most studies on the evolution of the brain are limited to vertical, higher (mammalian) Vs lower (reptilian) structures and, the relationship between the two.

If Genesis is allegorical, and something my scientific substituted; I guess we would have “our” homo sapien-sapien line beginning circa 50,000 BP and a DNA mutated Adam around 8,000-10,000 BP. That is, there were pro-humans, then humans, then our path of humanity (50,000 BP), then a significant mutation occurred about 10,000 years ago.

Said mutation would need to have occurred before humans migrated around the world which on second thoughts might take us back 16,000-20,000 BP. An Ice Age would have presented ecological challenges and the opportunity to migrate from Africa and its environments to Europe, Asia and the Americas. Issues of brain sidedness within selective evolutionary processes could very well have arisen when the World changed (Ice Age) and societies changed.

Cheers,

Oly.
Posted by Oliver, Monday, 2 March 2009 8:18:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy