The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How much do our '-isms' really matter? > Comments

How much do our '-isms' really matter? : Comments

By Andrew Prior, published 12/2/2009

Most of us are just trying to find a way in life, trying to make sense of what’s going on, and find some point and purpose.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I am reflexively wary of all “isms” as the declaration that “I am a Xist” or “I am a follower of Xism” usually denotes a mind that is closed to discourse that might shake their faith. Of course this is understandable if that person considers that life is likely to be more viable or livable with a limited amount of information than it would be with a larger amount that they consider they can’t process. So be it.

But of all the “isms” of which I am wary, cynicism is the most troubling. At least religions have some elaborated, if not limited intellectual structure, and aim to give hope to their followers. Atheism, similarly is a fervent “belief” in the power of rationality. But cynicism is nothing more than a vacuous and reflexive doubting- not the doubting of skepticism, which queries the data, but a corrosive doubting of the motives, integrity and morality of the person seeking knowledge.

Cynicism, to me is not just intellectual laziness, but an inadequately developed sense of civility.

And most cynics say that they are just being humorous and that others should “lighten up.
Posted by Jedimaster, Friday, 13 February 2009 10:44:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One persons cynicism is another persons realism.

The thing about cynicism is that as an attitude, it isn't ever really formed as an a priori position, but tends to be developed from contact with the 'real world' and the people and motives that are found within it. It's not laziness, but self-defence. And it often works.

Lighten up man.
Posted by Bugsy, Friday, 13 February 2009 11:12:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bugsy
The internet is a medium. That is all. It does not have a nature. It is used by different people for different purposes. Because some use it for paedophilia and other debauched purposes does not mean the internet is debauched.
Of course much of it will be complete dross. Of course there will be some like Pericles who will use the internet only as an instrument of insult and abuse.
But that does not mean that everyone or everything on the net is dross.
I have become a multi-millionaire three times this week on online lotteries I never entered and have received five offers of several millions of dollars to help a poor young woman whose father has died suddenly leaving vast amounts of money that needs to be moved from one place to another. But that does not mean everything is a con?
As a writer I have found OLO a very useful forum to test ideas and have often modified concepts from the valuable input of other participants. Even Pericles has proved useful at times in helping me find out what sort of objections and abuse a totally negative imbecile can come up with.
O dear. That was a judgment. Forgive me Father for I have sinned.
If there are those who wish to have a corner of this vast net where there can be open and constructive debate on issues that interest them there is no reason why they cannot, even if there is a lot of dross and insults intermingled that needs to be ignored.
Becoming aware of a person's performance in debates is a learning curve. Now that I have learnt that any post with 'Pericles' on the bottom will be a waste of space I can ignore them.
It is more than a waste of space. With only 2 posts in 24 hours it is counter productive to reply when there may be other posts worth responding to.
Anyone who insists on telling others what they can and cannot do only end up telling the world of their own limitations
Posted by Daviy, Friday, 13 February 2009 11:19:30 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah Jedi master, you really need to lighten up. Come on down off that horse and join in the fun. I think you belong in the smh letters section. I'm always wary of people who use the word 'vacuous'. Just add in 'rhetoric', 'de-riguer', and 'beggars belief', and you have a prime example of a pompous, pretentious ....

I'd rather the musings of a cynic than the pontifications of a pseudo-intellectual any day.
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 13 February 2009 11:22:26 AM
<<The internet is a medium. That is all. It does not have a nature. >>

the medium is the message.
Posted by bushbasher, Friday, 13 February 2009 11:33:47 AM
I have a suggestion.
How about we ask OLO to provide two comment streams for each article? One for the group who want to discuss the issues raised in the article, and the other for the playschool group? Maybe we could have double the posts, half for each group.
That way I could stay with what was going in the discussion group and if I felt like crapping on Pericles or Houellebecq just for fun once in a while I could do it in the sandpit. Not too often because it would be too easy. I prefer a challenge.
All sorts of possibilities there.
I have an alcoholic ex-wife who used to say 'lighten up' whenever she was being particularly obnoxious, but I will admit she had a degree of wit and was sometimes even genuinely funny. This was a small saving grace I have yet to observe in Pericles and the others, although there are times I have a suspicion that Pericles may related to her. She did have lots of odd ball relatives (most of them illegitimate). Her grandfather got around a bit when he wasn't passed out on the public bar floor. Runs in the family.
Placing 'pseudo' in front of words has become such a cliché of reverse snobbery. It went out with cloth caps and smelly pipes. Isn't there at least some way you can get some originality into you insults?
I think what pisses me off about your inane posts are that they are so boring. This is a cardinal sin to me because I hate being bored when I am supposed to be having fun. That of course coupled with I do not like being reminded of my ex-wife.
A sandpit group would overcome that. You could all 'play and have fun' whilst I got on with what I wanted to do without being continually interrupted by you infantile presence.
Posted by Daviy, Friday, 13 February 2009 4:59:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy