The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Yes we can - no we can't > Comments

Yes we can - no we can't : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 6/2/2009

It may be a bit much to ask for an Indigenous PM of Australia but what about all Indigenous Australians having access to running water?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I firmly believe that both white and black
Australians would benefit from the removal of these "activists". They do more harm than good, merely serve to make the divide from both sides much deeper. Interference that we all can do without. Let these trouble makers get a 'proper job' and we may see progress.Without them we will all be Australians and that is how it should be.
Posted by mickijo, Saturday, 7 February 2009 3:19:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stephen - not one of your better articles.

There's so many holes in it that you've provided a venue for a free-for-all for the OLO anti-Aboriginal contingent.

While I'm obviously sympathetic to Indigenous issues. I don't think this article has helped very much.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 7 February 2009 11:30:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

ONE ACTIVIST MAY HIDE ANOTHER

“Knowing others is wisdom, knowing thySelf is enlightenment” Lao Tzu

The word "activist", in the broad sense of the term, may be defined as someone "advocating or opposing a cause or issue vigorously".

On Line Opinion describes itself as a forum for public social and political debate about current Australian issues.

It follows therefore that anyone "advocating or opposing a cause or issue vigorously" on this web site, may be duly described as an "activist" in the broad sense of the term.

Anyone wishing to avoid falling into this category, when publishing comments, would be well advised to express his or her assent or dissent with a certain degree of moderation and, might I add (for good measure), respect.

One can never be too careful in such matters.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Sunday, 8 February 2009 12:33:00 AM
CJ Morgan. You do many of us who make comments on Aboriginal matters a slight by referring to us as "Anti Aboriginal". In my past, I have had quite a few Aboriginal friends of both sexes who I regarded as good people, regardless of their race or colour.

Stephen complains of the lack of facilities in remote areas, but this is a problem for both black and white citizens. The whites have used their resources to provide things for themselves. From where we stand down here, the blacks have squandered the largesse which the government has provided and now they still complain, via advocates like Stephen, that they have nothing. Stephen, I would suggest that you address your pleas to those for whom you have concern, and encourage them to get up off their tails and use their hands and brains in conjunction with their fortnightly handout to provide these things for themselves.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Sunday, 8 February 2009 7:43:09 AM
INDIGENOUS??
The Australian Aboriginal is no more indigenous than the guy who runs my local kebab shop. They simply arrived before Captain Cook and his merry group, just as my ancestry arrived before Iman and his kebab making skills.
The other ridiculous notion is calling them an Indigenous group, this just alienates them from society further rather than welcoming and integrating. The aboriginal community refer to themselves as Aboriginal or Abbos, so who makes the rules on political correctness? Why not call them Australians?
No running water? In Redfern is this or in the outback where even our farmers and graziers have no running water
Posted by Juda, Sunday, 8 February 2009 2:21:24 PM
VK3AUU - I can't recall you ever making a comment on OLO that was in any way supportive of, or positive about, Aboriginal people. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

And welcome to Juda - you're obviously in good company here. OLO is infested with racist bigots. However, you'll find that there's also plenty of educated, decent people who will try and help you overcome your ignorance and prejudice.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Sunday, 8 February 2009 8:02:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy