The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Changing Australia Day > Comments

Changing Australia Day : Comments

By Andrew Bartlett, published 28/1/2009

Calls to change Australia Day are manna from heaven for radio shock jocks and history warriors: it’s no surprise Kevin Rudd wants to shut down debate.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. All
If you loved hisorical Flash in the Pan, Magaret Thatcher Col, could say you are not much of a historical philosopher.

Only a few cheers,

BB, Buntine, WA.
Posted by bushbred, Sunday, 8 February 2009 10:00:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bushbred “if you loved hisorical Flash in the Pan, Magaret Thatcher Col, could say you are not much of a historical philosopher.”

You are entitled to your narrow and misguided view bushbred.
You are entitled to express it publically

But as you do enjoy expressing publically

Think on this

If it were not for people like Margaret Thatcher, who had the vison, stoicism, fortitude and courage to stand up against the forces of Soviet oppression.

You might find, expressing your personal view and if that view was contrary to the official government view, it would see you spending your days in a re-education / concentration camp somewhere.
[
Bushbred, of yourself, I find nothing is worse than an inconsequential non-achiever who uses the freedom of speech, the results from the leadership of achievers, to continually carp on and criticize those same leaders of the democratic nations who erased the specter of communist oppression.
Posted by Col Rouge, Sunday, 8 February 2009 11:28:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
what a tosser
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 10 February 2009 12:46:00 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

When I saw your post, I thought to myself... ho-hum, another bleeding heart white leftie who knows nothing of real history but trots out the same old tired line about Aboriginals having exclusive rights to some real estate that he neither invented nor developed.

That puerile line of thought would be similar to me restricting the use of hospitals, schools, universities, roads, highways, public transport, water, gas and electricity utilities etc. to European Australians only or at the very least, charging a toll to "others".

Further, I can assure you the term "Australian" was not used by the pre-1788-peoples-in-resident in the times before British settlement. Thus it would be wrong to label the Aborigines the "First Australians" given that, as I said earlier, "Australia" and "Australians" are European concepts and the nation and people we now know as "Australia" and "Australians" did not exist prior to the arrival of the British.

Col Rouge,

"I wonder how many more milleniums it will take for aboriginals to develop to the same adulthood?

Col, you simply do not understand.

The pre-1788 people now collectively known as "Australian Aborigines" were the pinnacle of human development, the pristine paragons of virtue, intelligence, kindness and wisdom. We, Australians of British and European descent, are mere children - intellectually, culturally and spiritually - compared to these enlightened, God-like beings. Only an ignorant racist redneck would not concede that the achievements of Western civilisation pale in comparison to those of the Australian Aborigine.

Only until you accept this incontrovertible truth will you be on the path to true understanding.
Posted by Efranke, Tuesday, 10 February 2009 9:43:14 PM
Efranke "Only an ignorant racist redneck would not concede that the achievements of Western civilisation pale in comparison to those of the Australian Aborigine.

Only until you accept this incontrovertible truth will you be on the path to true understanding."

I suspect you might be being sarcastic :-)

"redneck" reference might be because you translated my logon.

However, in the unlikely event you are not being sarcastic, I would have to observe

The incontrovertible truth is, aboriginal innovators did not need to find a cure for smallpox, diptheria, polio and many other diseases because, before the white man came, they were not exposed to such risks.

That belies the reality that

If the British had not colonised Australia when it did and recognising the development of ship building technology among many other cultures combined with the natural inquisitiveness of mankind; sooner or later, someone else would have introduced, diptheria, polio and many other diseases to test the innovative resources of aboriginals. The other point isthe people of those other inquisitive, boat building cultures may have been far less benevolent than British colonists, if the Indonesian colonial expedition into East Timor is any guide.

Bearing in mind the proximity of Indonesia and the ability of Indonesians to build boats, their colonial aspirations could well have prevailed in the absence of the British colonialisation.

I see no aboriginal equivalents of Stonehenge, no aboriginal books to challenge the writings of Darwin, Voltaire and the like.

Iron Bridge is a town in England where the first iron bridge in the world was built yet I see no development of smelted metal work within the artifacts of aboriginal life, despite an abundance of iron.

The diggery-doo makes music but how long a shadow does it cast across the inspiration which saw Mozart write "The Magic Flute" or how western cultures produces the modern metal flute itself or the organ which Bach wrote for?

Aboriginal cave paintings might be considered culturally significant but so too is the ceiling of the Sistene Chapel and I suppose too Jackson Pollacks "blue poles", which Whitlam spent a fortune on.
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 11 February 2009 10:24:34 AM
Sorry to interrupt the redneck racist circle-jerk, but I don't suppose any of you clowns are aware of the Aboriginal cultural practices by which the Australian bush was managed sustainably for millennia - you know, stuff that enabled them to live in the Australian environment without being barbecued in expensively flammable houses, cars etc?

Or that northern Australia had been visited regularly by "boat-building" Indonesian traders for centuries prior to the British invasion?

Silly question - you obviously know squat about Aboriginal culture and history, and spout your racist bile from a position of ignorance.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 12 February 2009 9:26:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. All