The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Another year over, but the wars continue > Comments

Another year over, but the wars continue : Comments

By Lyn Allison and Tim Wright, published 22/1/2009

Australians are admirably engaged in the movement to end abject poverty but few see the connection between deprivation and conflict.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Arjay, Ojnab
Voices of some reason, someone who are addressing the problem and not simply ranting survival of the fortunate/ strongest myopic and ultimate self-destructive rhetoric.
I would add that sub Saharan Africa and particularly the Middle East are currently lethal time bombs too for the reasons given in the article.

If we do nothing treating the whole issue as some grotesque distorted manifestation of natural selection/population control we are courting indiscriminate ‘culling’ of *us* via terrorism etc.

I see the issue on several levels moral, ethical and enlightened self interest.

I would agree that the military manufacturing complexes (all nations) are what needs to be curtailed. Defence is one thing but selling weapons to unstable areas merely to maintain profit and jobs is both obscene and ultimately creating monsters that may yet come back and savage us. The afore mentioned Middle East is one such greater example, Iran is a specific example.

That is not to discount irresponsible self interested manipulative politics both past and present by the strong.

Leigh
You may not be a homicidal maniac but you do appear either horribly misinformed or incredibly insular and myopic in your reasoning. I would encourage you to consider the logical consequences of some of your assertions. These potential cullees simply won’t meekly accept the fate you’ve prescribed them they’ll lash out and guess at whom?
I'm not keen to be culled just yet how about you?
Posted by examinator, Friday, 23 January 2009 8:25:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perhaps Leigh should be culled with the rest, I bet she wouldn't want that, but if it is other than herself, that is definately OK
Posted by Ojnab, Saturday, 24 January 2009 2:09:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
RPG you remind me of the motorist who never does anything wrong on the roadway, toots and carries on, never makes mistakes.

Remember a lot E-mails are sent in a hurry, don't be so particular with commas, but I forgot you never make mistakes.
Posted by Ojnab, Saturday, 24 January 2009 2:23:59 PM
I don't want to side with Leigh, because of some distasteful associations, but he is correct in the basic premise...

Poverty is caused by high population growth!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=--==-

All the poorest countries have the highest fertility... And it is THE CAUSE of poverty, not a RESULT of poverty.

Imagine, that our government had top build 5 time more schools, 5 times more hospitals, roads and somehow make 5 times more farm land each generation? Our wealthy economies would simply collapse!

But that is the burden we allow the poor countries to suffer from...
Rwanda's growth means that every 25 years, there are 5 times more people!

Why is it 'not acceptable' to talk about 'population management' as the solution to poverty? The people who oppose population management are sadists, guilty of causing immeasurable pain and death. (now I'm getting dramatic!)

Growth rate of total population...
Rwanda 7.41% per year
Liberia 7.19% per year
United Arab Emirates 5.79% per year
Kuwait 5.12
Turks and Caicos Islands 4.16
Cayman Islands 4.04
Western Sahara 3.93
Palestinian Territories 3.7
Niger 3.61
Togo 3.59
Northern Mariana Islands 3.57
Gambia 3.55
French Guiana 3.49

(Source http://www.wri.org )
PartTimeParent@pobox.com
Posted by partTimeParent, Tuesday, 27 January 2009 11:01:35 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Or try
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_fertility_rate

For a list of "fertility" rates by nation.
Again, the highest fertility rates have the highest poverty (with some sexist muslim nations with religious-ly motivated high fertility)

The other thing to note is the bottom of the list - nations who are committing genocide against themselves by failing to produce children are the richest nations (and some with social issues, repression etc).
Also these are the most feminist nations... feminism causes low fertility.
Posted by partTimeParent, Tuesday, 27 January 2009 11:10:08 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fanatical religious leaders and the people who believe what they say unquestioningly are the biggest cause of poverty,division, overpopulation,and threat to world peace in the world today.

Some of the problems are just caused by rotten, armed nasty leaders, full stop.

As long as the West keeps saving these leaders and countries from the consequences of their actions they will never learn or get desperate enough to change for the better.

The people of the West need to stop sticky beaking over the fence via satellite television at the problems in other people's back yards and realise that those problems were there before they ever had satellite TV, they couldn't fix them then and regardless of their benevolent godlike veiw of themselves they wont't be able to fix them now. The people in these countries need to look within for the solutions. You cannot fix problems for he who will not see.
Posted by sharkfin, Saturday, 31 January 2009 10:10:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy