The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia needs a sensible foreign policy on Macedonia > Comments

Australia needs a sensible foreign policy on Macedonia : Comments

By Ordan Andreevski, published 15/1/2009

The Rudd Government is upholding an incoherent, damaging and unjustified policy on Macedonia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Boriss wrote:

Just point me 1 building in antiquity that was not build by slaves.

Dear Boriss,

There are many buildings in antiquity which were not built by slaves. Although we do not have the construction details for all ancient buildings we do know of some.

I found this on the net:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery

Archaeological discoveries by Mark Lehner and Zahi Hawass lead some to claim that the workers who built the pyramids were not enslaved.

The priests themselves built the Second Temple in Jerusalem.

You only asked me to name one building. I’m sure there were many others.

When I was in Greece I visited Delphi. There are many inscriptions marked on the walls. Most were from ancient visitors to the place mentioning that they had freed slaves. Even though slavery was accepted many apparently thought it was a good thing to free slaves.

The conditions of slaves in the ancient world varied greatly. Those in the mines at Laurium suffered horribly. Other slaves administered great estates, taught or were regarded as members of the family.

Regarding Alexander’s beautiful oath it is quite common for the aggressors to appeal to justice, freedom or democracy. The important thing is to consider their actions. It is hypocrisy to slaughter one’s way around the known world and then say, “As for myself, I consider all persons, black or white, as equals.” Do you who make a difference between Greeks and Macedonians live by it?

Napoleon spoke of freedom and said, “Every man carries a marshal’s baton in his knapsack.” The reality is that he appointed his relatives to positions of power and tried to re-enslave the freed slaves in Haiti.

George Bush bombed the hell out of Iraq in his ‘shock and awe’ bombing but talked of spreading democracy.

Some regard Alexander, Napoleon and George Bush as liberators. Diogenes knew better.

As far as war being a way of life even in the ancient world some questioned. King David of Israel was not allowed to build the Temple, as he was a man of war. His son, Solomon, did it.
Posted by david f, Sunday, 18 January 2009 4:21:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy