The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fluoride: the mother of all band-aids > Comments

Fluoride: the mother of all band-aids : Comments

By David Gillespie, published 5/1/2009

If mass medication is the way we solve society’s lifestyle influenced health problems, then why stop at fluoride?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Peter D is not keen on fluoridation and thinks Fluoride toothpaste is better, but the average DMFT for 12-year-old Australian children was only 1.02 per child in 2002 with only 76% with fluoridation. Non-fluoride areas had more than 2 decayed missing or filled teeth.
However tooth decay is still Australia’s most common and second most expensive disease.
Gabon had 4.4 decayed missing or filled teeth per 12 year old child in 2000
The Philippines had 4.6 DMFT in 1997
Guatemala had 5.2 in 2002
Saint Lucia and 6.0 in 2004

Though Fluoridation increases resistance to acid, much of the food left on teeth after every meal or snack can still cause acid demineralization between teeth and inside pits and fissures on chewing surfaces where over 80% of cavities occur and saliva has little or no access to neutralise acid and remineralise demineralised tooth.

Expensive fillings and fissure sealants from the dentist, block food from being trapped and like avoiding carbohydrate like sugar and fluoridation, greatly prevents the progress of tooth decay.

Perhaps Peter D has a point if only fluoride toothpaste could gain access inside pits and fissures where 80% of cavities occur, demineralised tooth could be remineralised while brushing. But for now, fluoridation has the best track record.
Posted by Supertooth, Wednesday, 7 January 2009 8:57:58 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Supertooth, in his three posted comments, tells us how decay in the pits and fissures of teeth is one of the main problems (correct) but then makes the bizarre leap to suggest that fluoride in drinking water could prevent it. Absolutely wrong - I thought all dentists understood that by now. Perhaps some do not keep up with the scientific literature.
Since 1950, it has been found that fluorides do little to prevent pit
and fissure tooth decay:
(1) Seholle RH. (1984). Preserving the perfect tooth (editorial). Journal of the American Dental Association 108: 448.
(2) Gray, AS. (1987). Fluoridation: time for a new base line? Journal of the Canadian Dental Association 53: 763-5.
(3) U.S. Public Health Service (PHS). (1993). Toward improving the oral health of Americans: an overview of oral health status, resources, and care delivery. Public Health Reports 108: 657-72.
(4) Pinkham, JR, ed. (1999). Pediatric Dentistry Infancy Through Adolescence. 3rd Edition. WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia.

It is significant that fluoride is useless for this problem because pit and fissure tooth decay represents up to 85% of the tooth decay experienced by children today (Seholle 1984 and Gray 1987). Pit and fissure decay is best prevented with sealants (and proper diet of course).
Supertooth presents his defence of water fluoridation with religious zeal plus an appearance of 'white coat' authority. But if he is so ignorant of the research on fluoride and pit and fissure decay then to me it looks as though everything he claims is probably equally dodgy. Blind faith in fluoride is no substitute for properly examining the literature and scientific data.
The only posted comment that looks sensible to me so far is the sixth, by Peter D.
Posted by Ironer, Thursday, 8 January 2009 12:38:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Very interesting comments about fluoridation, but I would like to remind some people that we are Not just made up of teeth. There are many cells and organs which make up a human body.

Another thought is, all chemicals and medications come with precautions and adverse reactions. This morning whilst inserting my contact lenses I noticed the product information sheet for the sodium chloride injection (saline solution) that I was using.

The sheet clearly stated some of the precautions in using this chemical
eg.safety in pregnency has not been established, safety in lactation has not yet been established.
Interactions with other drugs-additives may be incompatible with sodium chloride. Co medication of drugs inducing sodium retention may exacerbate any systemic effects.

Another heading was Adverse reactions-excessive amounts of sodium chloride may cause hypernatraemia, hypokalaemia and acidosis. etc

My point is this, why does an injection of saline solution come with precautions and warnings and fluoridation is deemed safe for all? Am I meant to believe that sodium chloride can be dangerous, but fluoride at any dosage is safe?

The last warning on the sodium chloride sheet was, if any adverse effects are observed during administration, discontinue use and consult your doctor. If anyone suffers an adverse reaction to fluoride how will they know if their is no precautionary sheet with information on adverse effects from fluoride. All Doctors and even dentists know that all medication and chemicals can have adverse effects in some people.

Recent studies from India have shown that magnesium, calcium, vitamin D and selenium build strong bones. Mums and Dads need to make sure their children get enough of all the above mentioned, avoid sugar and our country will have children with beautiful teeth.
Read the latest studies www.fluorideAlert.org

cheers Nana Anna
Posted by Nana Anna, Thursday, 8 January 2009 2:37:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ironer is right in saying Fluoridation cannot totally prevent decay, in fact even with Fluoridation tooth decay is still the most common of diseases caused by thousands of small acid demineralisation episodes after meals and snacks that contain acid and or carbohydrate like sugar that plaque bacteria change to acid.
Fluoridation only increases tooth resistance to acid demineralisation not totally prevents it.
Topical fluorides like in toothpaste cannot prevent tooth decay because like saliva they don't have access inside pits and fissures.
However chewing forces sugars and acids present even in a proper diet inside pits and fissures, which fissure sealants can prevent.
Some foods like nuts and confection are hard to displace.
Chewing tooth friendly foods like nuts before eating helps prevent meals and snacks including proper diet from being trapped for a time and so reduces acid demineralisation much the same as fissure sealants that are not available to everyone.
Chewing foods like nuts after eating helps displace trapped food and also reduces demineralisation. It can help both fluoridated and non fluoridated communities.
Chewing fibre like celery after eating forces saliva inside grooves to dilute sugars, neutralise acid and remineralise demineralised tooth.
Nana Anna is also correct that we need calcium etc for strong bones. We also need them and a minute amount of fluoride, that less than 1mg a day, for strong teeth ans so as not to cause fluorosis.
Nana you have mixed up sodium fluoride with sodium chloride, which is common salt. We all make a mistake sometimes.
Regards Supertooth.org
Posted by Supertooth, Thursday, 8 January 2009 5:09:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wish to inform Supertooth that I haven't mixed up Sodium fluoride with sodium chloride. I was merely pointing out that there are more warnings for the use of the saline solution that I use when inserting contact lenses, than there are for fluoride.

I think that it is the dentists, health department and government who are confusing Fluorosilicic acid for Sodium Fluoride, which is the poison that they use for water fluoridation. You sound like a dentest Supertooth. Are you aware that fluorosilicic acid comes with co-contaminants of Arsenic, lead, Cadmuim and Mercury?

Does Arsenic clean out the pits and fissures? Maybe the lead has a special role in cleaning our teeth or making them stronger? I wonder if our mouth has a direct connection to our brain and do any of the magical chemicals make their way there to clean out the cobwebs in our brains or maybe they just might cause our brains to deteriorate like in Alzheimers or dementia. Like I said before, our bodies don't just have teeth, we have other organs.

By the way I do know the difference between Calcium fluoride, Sodium fluoride and fluorisilicic acid. The latter is a by product from Pivot fertiliser, my husband use to work there and he told me that fluorosilicic acid is made from phosphate rock (chicken poop).

Cheers, Well informed Nana Anna
Posted by Nana Anna, Thursday, 8 January 2009 6:35:24 PM
Nana Anna,

I really didn't want to get involved in this OLO thread ... but, arsenic is an essential trace element for our health - believe it or not.

My point is that what we take into our bodies is about concentrations, not what we take in - some call it TLV - threshold limit values.

And don't get me started on Alzheimers, aluminium uptake and such - something I could write a thesis on. The subject matter is not so much about fluoridation of drinking water but fluoridation of soft-drink for Pete's sake - stupid, IMHO.

Btw, love the tag.
Posted by Q&A, Thursday, 8 January 2009 7:11:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy