The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Global warming - a business opportunity for smart Arctic dwellers > Comments

Global warming - a business opportunity for smart Arctic dwellers : Comments

By Roger Kalla, published 19/11/2008

A Swedish goverment report on climate change reveals good news all round - exotic crops and green business opportunites.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Roger, fascinating piece, thanks for sharing it with us. I was particularly interested that the report concluded:
"On the whole Sweden would stand to gain a lot from global warming and not suffer any greater economic losses associated with an increase in mean temperature."
I guess the big difference here, in the context of the analysis, is our reliance on coal (so this is an economic consideration) and heavily populated low lying areas (a geographic consideration)?
Posted by Jennifer, Wednesday, 19 November 2008 12:00:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maybe Sweden will become the new 'Lucky Country'. At least they are not hypocrites like Canada some 40% over Kyoto targets. I suspect that the climate will be muddled for decades so that new crops will be unreliable. Perhaps also insects will ravage boreal forests until the tree mix adapts to warmer temperatures. Until solar technology costs come down 80% we're really not much better off with our abundant sunshine here.

Clearly Sweden has less to lose than Australia from AGW. Australia may not export technology the way Sweden does but has tremendous influence with uranium exports and as one of the few countries not facing early depletion of coal and natural gas. In my opinion Australia should use that leverage to force greenhouse compliant behaviour on other countries. Oh no the Colonel Blimps will say the Chinese will take our resources from us. Yeah whatever.
Posted by Taswegian, Wednesday, 19 November 2008 12:18:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting article. I am interested to know what interruptions to the Gulf Stream, which I believe contributes about 20% of the heat to northern Europe, will have on Sweden. It is suggested that thos ciruclaton might slow or even cease as the ice melts.

Does anyone know if this was factored into the Swedish report. I presume it was.
Posted by Phil Matimein, Wednesday, 19 November 2008 1:06:11 PM
It's always fascinated me how anyone could live in such a desparing climate.

Good luck to you Roger. It'll be Christmas at the beach and Santas on surfboards before you know it.
Posted by bennie, Wednesday, 19 November 2008 1:44:12 PM
Great to hear Roger ..

To all those inclined to panic and despair about Climate Change, whatever the cause, you see, it's not all such a big problem as people do adapt.

If it gets too warm or cold, you either adapt or move, no where in this article did they mention trying to stop or change the weather or climate.

I'm an elder, trust me on this, we will endure, we always have. (which is exactly what you want to hear from an elder isn't it - not to despair or worry)
Posted by rpg, Thursday, 20 November 2008 5:19:56 AM
Wunderful! One little corner of the world might actually benefit from climate change. So therefore we should not worry about it at all...and just continue with on with business as usual?

What about the many millions of people that will be wiped out or displaced to who knows where, from very low-lying coastal areas around the world, especially southern Asia?

What about the multitude of extinctions of animals and plants that will be left with nowhere to go?

What about the pressure that would be placed upon any areas that do benefit from climate change, to greatly increase their food output for the very survival of the greatly increased number of desperate people around the world?

What about the pressure for them to open their borders to millions of refugees?

What about the resultant massive environmental degradation?

Do you really think that the quality of life for current residents in Sweden and similar places would actually improve or worsen if their climate was to soften thus allowing them to become major agricultural areas or facilitating other forms large-scale economic growth and concomitant population growth?
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 20 November 2008 7:20:03 AM
Agreed, Ludwig. I suppose we haven't been around long enough not to contemplate change.
Posted by bennie, Thursday, 20 November 2008 7:59:34 AM
'Sweden is, like Australia, experiencing the effects of an upward trend in temperatures '

Could we please have some untampered tempature graphs instead of ridiculous statements with no scientific basis.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 20 November 2008 9:35:13 AM
Poor dear runner, still stuck in denial, do some research for once, try the IPCC, it's got plenty of scientific evidence of warming. And its good to hear President elect, Obama, with his thoughts:

US President-elect Barack Obama says he will "engage vigorously" in global climate change talks and denial is no longer an acceptable response to global warming.
"Now is the time to confront this challenge once and for all. Delay is no longer an option. Denial is no longer an acceptable response. The stakes are too high. The consequences, too serious."
Posted by sillyfilly, Thursday, 20 November 2008 10:31:04 AM
I guess the author is right in much of what he says - if he considers Sweden in isolation from the rest of the world.

Their customers may have more important matters to occupy them than looking forward to their next glass of Swedish Merlot.

Also a rise in temperature may also be accompanied by other associated weather events, such as hurricanes, or the migratory patterns of schools of herring.

Every silver lining has a cloud.
Posted by wobbles, Thursday, 20 November 2008 11:16:45 AM
Ludwig - I understand your concern, these are all unknown things you are worried about, people throughout history have been worried about what is the future going to hold - there have always been doomsday scenarios, seriously.

All I can offer is this .. it might never happen.
Posted by rpg, Thursday, 20 November 2008 10:17:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy