The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Death of a friend: the end of 'The Religion Report' > Comments

Death of a friend: the end of 'The Religion Report' : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 30/10/2008

'The Religion Report' has been liquidated by managers who can’t see beyond the book balance and rate of downloads.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Another atheist reporting for duty to defend the Religion Report! I am appalled by its proposed demise, for all the reasons so well articulated by others, so I won't repeat them.

I have read that the RR is being ditched partly because it is not attracting as many downloads as programs like the Science Show. I don't see that comparing these two programs is valid, as they are broadcast at such different times. The RR is on when many listeners will be in their cars, or near a radio at home, while the SS is broadcast at lunchtime on Saturday, when many people are busy with family and enjoying the weekend. Listening to a pod-cast is fine if its the only way to hear a program, but channelling sound straight into your head through earbuds is not the most pleasant way to go. Its the fast food of listening - convenient but a far from optimum experience. I am very disturbed that the ABC seems to favour quantity over quality. I hope they re-instate Stephen Crittenden soon. The problem was the message not the messenger, and he deserves a lot of credit for letting us know what the ABC is up to.
Posted by Candide, Friday, 31 October 2008 8:03:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I will greatly miss both Crittenden and the Religion Report.

I will GREATLY MISS " " " " " "

Arriving in Australia as a 20 year old, in 1951, very lonely, the ABC was my support and my consolation. Was it then 2BL who had interesting programs and good, light classical music ?

Everytime the ABC was threatened, i collected names on petitions, went to rallies... i can't believe what is happening to "my" treasured ABC.
Posted by Henriette, Friday, 31 October 2008 8:38:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A patronising, boring, feel good program with a miniscule following has been given the sword.

No problem here.
Posted by Democritus, Saturday, 1 November 2008 7:33:53 PM
As an atheist I am somewhat ambivalent regarding the demise of the Religion Report. I am interested in all religions and belief and found this show extremely informative, interesting and encompassing of far more than just the Christian frame of reference. It helped to to increase my understanding of why some people believe in religion.

However the program aired last Wednesday gave me pause for thought, it was, to put it bluntly, a complete whitewash of Christianity and full of so many historical holes that I was shocked it was even permitted to be aired.

The presenter, Father Robert Sirico claimed that Christianity was responsible for any good, any scientific progress, any movement for peace, (women's suffrage?, can't remember). The bias was so profound that I expected Sirico to claim everything from invention of the wheel to sliced bread.

Listen to the Report here: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/religionreport/stories/2008/2403434.htm

If this latest Report was an example of further reports to come, then may the Religion Report rest in peace
Posted by Fractelle, Sunday, 2 November 2008 7:23:15 AM
Dear Fractelle,

Please read the first comment on this string. I mentioned that people like Father Sirico have been challenged by Stephen Crittenden. I don't think Crittenden would have broadcast that misleading screed. By getting rid of Crittenden and not replacing him with someone who would serve the same function ABC has destroyed Religion Report. Religious institutions and their apologists are not fond of critical examination and will use their power to silence critics.

One example of this was in Forum. When I stated that the Holocaust was applied Christianity Polycarp was in an uproar. He stated it was legally actionable. Fortunately his power is limited, and he may actually be a kind person.

The religious statement: "The truth shall set you free" translates to "Our lies will enchain you."
Posted by david f, Sunday, 2 November 2008 8:35:32 AM
DavidF

Did the latest Religion Report go to air as a direct result of Crittenden's removal? Or was it simply due to statistics: as in the level of podcasts compared to other shows?

BTW:

Having contributed a number of posts supporting you against Polycarp regarding 'applied Christianity' in Nazi Germany, means that we are both guilty of not reading each others posts. In fact if you have read any of my posts at all you would be aware I frequently speak out against religious tyranny and certainly did not require the above lecture from you
Posted by Fractelle, Sunday, 2 November 2008 10:16:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy