The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Let’s get real about evidence based policy > Comments

Let’s get real about evidence based policy : Comments

By Ross Farrelly, published 21/10/2008

One of Kevin Rudd’s favourite mantras is that he wishes to develop 'evidence based' policy. So let's see the evidence.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Dear jaranet
"observational studies fall squarely under the evidence-based umbrella. With large samples and adjustment for differences between comparison groups/changes over time, they can provide very robust results."
I guess your terminology threw me. I consider information obtained from observational studies akin to "anecdotal evidence". But if the studies conform to normal survey and sampling rigour I yield. And I hope the "WADoH (in partnership health researchers" study gives defensible results down the track.
Posted by blairbar, Wednesday, 22 October 2008 7:14:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Evidence based" essentially means drawing on other's experience.

The problem with randomised trials is that they take so long and are subject to so many assumptions that may not apply to everyone, that any attempt to base policy on this will simply result in nothing happening.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 23 October 2008 7:03:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy