The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > On preaching > Comments

On preaching : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 30/9/2008

There is a danger that in these days of the almost universal failure of the church, preaching becomes an exercise in damage control.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Ojnab... it doesn't work that way.

It is preaching first.. then belief, then fellowship/baptism/growth to maturity.

The preaching should be connected to the contemporary situation I agree....but it must inevitably end at this point:

God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

"We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a tree, but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen. He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen—by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead.

All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."

COMMENT
The above was Peters message to a Gentile family of a man named Cornelius who's heart God had prepared.That my dear Oj is the goal of preaching. To invoke repentance in the human heart, and faith in Christ Jesus for forgiveness of sin and newness of life.
That can be your experience, and the same goes for every OLO poster.

Preaching points to a man, an event... a reason, and a resurrection.
Posted by Polycarp, Tuesday, 30 September 2008 4:48:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jesus' main criticisms were directed at the elite in society - including priests. He had no time for money lenders (don't hear priests discussing the current banking problems), lawyers, and temple leaders - the very structure which keeps the ordinary man in his oppressed place.
Posted by K£vin, Tuesday, 30 September 2008 7:56:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is usually accepted that a positive should be capable of being supported by evidence whereas it is not possible to prove a negative. I would be reasonably satisfied if someone could show a physical location where God could exist. I am with Terry Lane who once commented, "Where does God exist other than in a believer's head?"
If that is the case where does God go in an Alzheimer victim?
Posted by Foyle, Tuesday, 30 September 2008 9:28:21 PM
I'm a Gen Y Christian who has spent much of my Christian life in the Charismatic churches. I thank GOD for so many of the good things that have come out of them, but I am weary of some tendencies some churches have fallen into over the years- namely the prosperity/health and wealth Gospel.

Also, the tendency to imply that Salvation from our sins and death is not enough, and so we have to sweeten the deal by promising people "total victory" and "abundance" in this life, rather than teaching people to seek first the Kingdom of GOD, and realise the whole point of man is to fear GOD and obey all of his commands (according to Ecclesiastes), or to glorify GOD and enjoy Him forever (as some theologians have put it).

Another tendency I see, especially off the backs of a lot of American preachers, is the idea to promote Christian humanism- you are the total focus of everything and the solution to all of the world's problems- but Jesus wants to be your best friend too. That's a nice idea, but it's not what the early church literally gave their lives to preach, and it's not the Gospel.

The Bible speaks so much about the world hating our message ("if they hate you, remember they hated Me first"- Jesus). "Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil." "The Gospel is foolishness to those who are perishing but to those who are being saved it is the power of GOD to eternal life."
Even in the church, Paul tells Timothy to "Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths."
Posted by netjunkie, Tuesday, 30 September 2008 11:04:25 PM
As Paul says, "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes...For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."

The Gospel will not be popular to mankind because it convicts us of sin. The Word of GOD "penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account."

We can preach our own message and it will be suitably weak. But the power of GOD resides in the Gospel itself that promises righteousness, right standing with GOD and eternal life (Jn 3:16) and it is this Gospel we are called to preach, not that of our own choosing.

People have asked me what they should do to reach out to Gen Y from within the Church. This is my answer: Preach the Gospel. The method, etc. is secondary to this- it really doesn't matter- ultimately it is GOD's love and kindness that draws people to Him at the preaching of the Word anyway. Just do what Jesus told you and preach and live THE Gospel. As with other generations, some will be convicted and turn to Christ. Others will be offended and turn away. But your job is to preach the Gospel.

Peter, I'm curious, do you not believe in eternal life/eternal damnation? What do you believe happens after physical death, and what is your Biblical basis for your beliefs?
Posted by netjunkie, Tuesday, 30 September 2008 11:04:38 PM
Dear Netjunkie..... they were beautiful posts ... addressing the 'properity' side of things.. a hearty amen brother...

We must one of these days organize a 'skype' conference :) or live discussion between some of us... all free.. great stuff.

Gee even Pericles, Bugsy, CJ and various others could join in on that :)

Speaking of which... (Skype Conference) have you considered the possibilities for evangelism that such a means represents?

Technology these days can multiply our presense to far and wide.

It would be quite possible to have an online Church with people in any country who are encouraged by Bible study from far way, and where the Authorities who might not be sympathetic to the Gospel cannot interfere.
Posted by Polycarp, Wednesday, 1 October 2008 6:51:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy