The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Let's look at those 'silly arguments' > Comments

Let's look at those 'silly arguments' : Comments

By Ruby Hamad, published 19/9/2008

Ruby Hamad's response to Terpstra's patronising and the written equivalent of a pat on the head.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Fancy getting worked up about the politics and political aspirants of another country. Now, that's really silly!
Posted by Mr. Right, Friday, 19 September 2008 4:20:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I visit and read the websites of many political, cultural and literary organizations on both sides of the political spectrum. Including those that publish traditional take home newspapers and magazines.

And yet none of them ever feature the kind of garbage that mister turpentine writes.

Why then does do the editors of this forum, who sometimes pretend to promote informed opinion, continue to publish turpentines garbage.
Posted by Ho Hum, Friday, 19 September 2008 4:32:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ho Hum,

I personally feel exactly the same way about Ruby's stuff. This article is appaling, bar far one of the worst i've come across in a long time. Terpstra materials is far better written and argued, and thank god, much more concise. Four pages of self justification, do we really need that?

Then again, the editor is providing space for you to post your wacky opinions so perhaps we should all be a little less judgemental.
Posted by Paul.L, Friday, 19 September 2008 5:41:20 PM
"Wacky opinions"? You right there?

Terpstra's article boiled down to "woman, good; Lefties bad".

I agree with Ruby - the fact that Palin's a woman should be irrelevant, but it's not. Clinton's a woman who drew women supporters on the basis that 1. she's a woman, and 2. she had policies on women that they agreed with. To say that Clinton and Palin's supporters are interchangeable because they're women is sexism - you're discriminating based on gender - or rather, saying women can't differentiate between the two because they're all women.

Terpstra conflates all of their two opinions to be the same, when obviously they're not, yet:
"Terpstra materials is far better written and argued"? My eyebrows are down my neck, they're lifted that high. If it's the worst "bar far one" that you've come across, you haven't been reading for very long - maybe just this one and Sukrit Sabhlok's article? Try any of the AGW-denialist articles...
Posted by Chade, Friday, 19 September 2008 6:40:05 PM
Thanks Chade, you summed up my thoughts exactly. My bruised ego aside, Paul L, you are actually aware that when writing articles such as this, one is expected to actually back up one's arguments with evidence, correct?

Now I am aware that you are going to take issue with anything I write because we seem to have very opposing viewpoints (though I am sure Terpstra could take one or two of our quotes out of context and argue that we were the same person, if the mood took him), but really I am shocked at how anyone could think that saying that Clinton and Palin agree on the issue of abortion is a well argued point.

I'm sure I could have written a much more concise article, if I had decided to ignore the issues and refused to provide evidence to substantiate my arguments.

Is that what it takes to impress you?

-Ruby
Posted by RubySoho, Saturday, 20 September 2008 12:58:00 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mssrs Terpstra & Tang should get along well. Newsmax should provide them with a vivid hall of reflections, shielding them from the real world, so easily outshone by their incurable narcissism.

Fellas, through Newsmax you can buy yourselves a USS Ronald Reagan Hat, make thousands writing business letters from home, watch out for bad medical advice & vote for McCain & Palin.

I expect that Sarah Palin is a tool of the powerful insiders that people Turps and Tang supposedly disdain. Interesting to read below on the phenomenon of Ms Palin:

“This is Your Nation on White Privilege”
Tim Wise
[excerpts]
“White privilege is being able to be a gun enthusiast and not make people immediately scared of you.

“White privilege is being able to have a husband who was a member of an extremist political party that wants your state to secede from the Union, and whose motto was “Alaska first,” and no one questions your patriotism or that of your family, while if you're black and your spouse merely fails to come to a 9/11 memorial so she can be home with her kids on the first day of school, people immediately think she’s being disrespectful.

“White privilege is being able to make fun of community organizers and the work they do--like, among other things, fight for the right of women to vote, or for civil rights, or the 8-hour workday, or an end to child labor--and people think you’re being pithy and tough, but if you merely question the experience of a small town mayor and 18-month governor with no foreign policy expertise beyond a class she took in college--you’re somehow being mean, or even sexist.

“White privilege is being able to convince white women who don’t even agree with you on any substantive issue to vote for you and your running mate anyway, because all of a sudden your presence on the ticket has inspired confidence in these same white women, and made them give your party a “second look.” "

http://www.redroom.com/blog/tim-wise/this-your-nation-white-privilege

© 2008 Red Room Omnimedia Corporation.
Posted by Sir Vivor, Saturday, 20 September 2008 10:25:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy