The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Woomf! Plunggg! Protons collide with doomsday fanaticism > Comments

Woomf! Plunggg! Protons collide with doomsday fanaticism : Comments

By Brian Matthews, published 19/9/2008

The Large Hadron Collider has provided another trigger for humanity's innate proclivity for millenarianism.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Ah, no, Brian, the LHC is about looking for the Higgs bosun and other particles.

It is apparent you get your scientific learning from those funny little 2-minute segments that follow the weather.
Posted by bennie, Friday, 19 September 2008 4:58:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No, runner; these are the people that continue to contend that the earth has been cooling since 1998.
Posted by Chade, Friday, 19 September 2008 6:12:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The Large Hadron Collider is the 21st century's way of pursuing the age-old question of where we came from and why we are here,"

Sounds like a religious cult to me.

Anyhow, the particle collider malfunctioned within hours of its launch to great fanfare, but its operator didn't report the problem for a week.

What odds did our geeks place on a malfunction?

And being a "hignant" primitive and all that, how will this project benefit mankind in the long term?

Of course I seem to recall the last time humans meddled with atoms they came up with the atom bomb.

Anyway as someone said: "Who cares about the 9 billion dollars? I want the universe to be destroyed in fire and brimstone. It'd be great, I'd enjoy telling my grandchildren how I was there at the end of the universe, circa 2008AD."
Posted by dickie, Friday, 19 September 2008 9:58:05 PM
You are jumping the gun a bit. They are running tests sending protons in a single direction around the device. They haven't started smashing particles together yet, so we are going to have to wait a little longer to see whether Switzerland is going to disappear into a black hole. Since they (the Swiss) have a reputation as being the most cautious nation on earth, I agree that we probably don't have much to worry about.

Your survey of doomsday cults has a few gaps, one being - well, doomsday cults. I'm also surprised that you haven't mentioned the largest and most influential of current doomsday cults, the environmental movement.
Posted by Cliff B, Saturday, 20 September 2008 2:13:06 PM
Great article, good to see someone not afraid of challenging or making light of the doomsayers. Lots of folks will be unhappy with you now though, those that have signed up to whatever end of the world scenario they enjoy most will not like it being laughed at.

Whether it's man made global warming, cooling, polar bear infestation, cats, computer viruses, giant oranges or comets, a lot of folks like to live on the edge with their beliefs - but laugh at other people's "stupid behaviour".

I guess some folks feel those people more or less deserve some sort of punishment, and if you belong to the group that looks like being "right" about the rest suffering for not believing, or believing the wrong way,it's a lot of fun.

In the end, it's all about belonging to a group and being happy about that, isn't it?
Posted by rpg, Saturday, 20 September 2008 3:21:27 PM
Religion's got nothing to do with it. Whatever the LHC throws up will be documented and can be proven to have occurred, which is the antithesis of religion.

The designers hope to pinpoint the god particle within a year of commissioning. The beauty of this kind of endeavour is if you don't believe what the boffins say you can always put your own collider together & find out for yourself!
Posted by bennie, Saturday, 20 September 2008 3:28:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy