The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The failed war on drugs > Comments

The failed war on drugs : Comments

By Sukrit Sabhlok, published 18/9/2008

If the goal in the war on drugs is to save lives, this is not being achieved by the present strategy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
You say >> “the families of junkies who died”

I see, but sky divers, over eaters, excessive drinkers, others who treat their body and their health badly, why don't we outlaw those things to protect families as well? Aren't their families also victims of something by your definition?

My brother was once a drug addict and he fell through a window while he was high, fell two stories, landed on his head and was in a coma for two weeks. He’s since recovered from both that injury and drugs, but I’ve always held him responsible for his actions. This idea that you can blame drugs actually deprives us and the drug user of the personal responsibility factor. It means drug addicts can hide behind this idea that it’s the drugs which are the problem, and not them taking them. It means we can let go of our responsibilities to raise our children correctly and make them aware of the consequences of their choices.

Drugs by prescription was trialed in Britain in the Merseyside area. The idea was to prescribe injectable opiates and set up syringe replacement schemes, again with the help and support of the police force. These projects certainly yielded results: a very low rate of AIDS infection among the intravenous drug injectors and a decrease in petty crime.

This program showed that it could turn what were once pretty much useless burdens on society into productive members of the public. Once the addicts no longer needed to spend their time searching for money to support their habit, and combined with the stability of receiving the same dose every day, many of the partcipants of the study were able to return to work or do other far more useful things with their lives. http://www.drugtext.org/library/articles/peddr0021.ht
Posted by Paul.L, Friday, 19 September 2008 5:35:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As CJ said this issue has been done to death on OLO previously and pretty much all the arguments for and against are on the thread that Col refers.

Col I did contribute to that thread and I think (from memory) we were in the minority. But it is nice to see CJ and PaulL in agreement for a change. :)
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 20 September 2008 12:24:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Still thinking outside the box, "this is" another pointless debate on whats right or wrong with the human population. The more laws we make, the more people will find a way to object and run away from their responsibilities.

I smell the fear in all your posts! We are all running out of time! You choose! faith or reality, its your decision.

People are under pressure! What do you thing they will do! That's right! find away too escape from.

This century is what the future has already fore-casted, and the circle is completed.

Conclusion!

God help us all!

I guess the ten rats in a box has not helped in any-way.

I guess I stand alone.:) if man was to become a "collective", what could we be?
I see a greater subject of the one person that rules the world. could this might be too much for the world to complete?

I speak in the simplex words that all can benefit from a world as we see it! and behold! we are now in the process of changeability!

Can we adapted? This is yet to see.

Can the bee hive correlate into today's world?

Just a thought.

EVO
Posted by EVO, Friday, 26 September 2008 1:57:33 AM
Seditious! LOL. more of a guess! Overpopulation! I wonder if this is the problem we face.

Let the death rate over-ride the birth rate on a global scale. As population decreases over a fifty year period, all that we see, will just disappear, one year at a time. Profit maker's are the only casualties, and if wind back, ( for a hundred years ) the world can all start again.
And the great thing about this is, no-one will notice the difference.

Things will Cruise along, and the only thing you will notice is, the world will be come smarter and all that plague us, will just die out!

Welcome to evolution.

EVO
Posted by EVO, Friday, 26 September 2008 2:42:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy